February 6, 2010

White Bread: BBAC#40

Labels: , , ,

Dinner Rolls
soft, fluffy, and yummy dinner rolls

The Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge #40: White Bread Variation 3

There are 3 variations of the White Bread recipe and I chose variation 3 which uses a sponge although still a one-day bread. In making the sponge I discovered there's a typo. For the milk, I used the volume measurement, 1¼ cups which was not enough for the amount of bread flour because the sponge was a bit dry and stiff and clearly needed more liquid. I checked the weight measurement which is 12 ounces, or 1½ cups. You might want to correct your books if you haven't done so already.

This is an enriched white bread recipe with one egg yolk, a quarter cup of butter or vegetable oil, 3 tablespoons of sugar, and milk (I used buttermilk). This is one of the simplest and I think foolproof recipes to make into feather-light, soft, milky, tight-crumbed, and utterly delicious loaves and rolls. If you have family members who are stuck in white Wonder Bread in its bright red, white, blue, and yellow packages, and won't eat anything else, this recipe might win them over to home baked white bread.

I divided the dough in half, one half was shaped into 18 mini dinner rolls, each one weighed 1 ounce, and baked in a 7 x 11 x 2 inch pan. The other half of the dough was misshaped into 6 New England-style hot dog buns which I will fill  later with breaded deep fried oysters or seafood salad, yum.

IMG_5718
7 x 11 x 2-inch pan is the perfect size for small dinner rolls

Hot Dog Buns
New England-style hot dog buns

Rating:
flavor 5
texture 5
visual appeal 5
ease of preparation 5
performance 5
worth 5
Total: 30
Average: 5

15 comments:

SallyBR said...

Great job!

I am making those either later today or tomorrow, good to know about the typo, although I haven't decided which variation to try

amanda @ fake ginger.com said...

Beautiful! I made a loaf & some rolls but gave them away so I never got to taste it. Can't wait to make it again now!

Rosemary & Garlic said...

My husband loves white bread, I am thinking about trying all three into different shapes and having a taste test and then freezing some rolls for when I am desperate. Thanks for the update about the typo, I really enjoy knowing what worked for everyone. Oggi, I put a link to you in my Tuscan bread today.

If I had some lobsters, I could use your hotdog rolls!

Sidney said...

As usual...looks very yummy !

Oggi said...

Sally, thanks. I should probably always check both measurements before starting a recipe.

Amanda, it's worth making again.

Anne Marie, I will bake a pain de mie, var1 next week and var2 another time. Although I love whole grain breads, I bake good old white bread loaves (I follow another recipe) once every 2 weeks. We love white bread.:)
Thanks for the link, BTW.


Sidney, thanks!:))

Yumarama said...

These look awesome. Now I'm torn which variety to make next weekend. I will have to wait for Sally and maybe a couple others to post and maybe that will tip me in one direction.

Since I have a sliced white bread fanatic too, I'm pretty sure any of them would be acceptable. Though I'll probably have to make at least one loaf of sandwich bread, I'd want to give these other shapes a try too.

Man, those rolls look fine! Mmm, mm!

Oggi said...

Paul, thanks. This white bread recipe is a keeper.:)

Cindy said...

Your dinner rolls are so pretty. They even make me excited about making white bread!

Oggi said...

Cindy, thanks.

I like this white bread recipe. I also made version 1 and it's also good.:)

misterrios said...

Beautiful beautiful rolls! Just the perfect shade of golden. Plus I love the hot dog buns. I'll have to make mine like these just to try home-made hot-dog buns.

Oggi said...

Daniel, the hot dog buns are fun to make. Next time I'll bake them in a 7 x 12 pan.

görel said...

Beautiful rolls! I must make these soon ...

Oggi said...

Gorel, thanks.:)

Geet said...

Hi, I would like to maket his but can seem to find the recipe. Could you please email it to me... Thank you.

geetsel@yahoo.com

Oggi said...

Hi,

I'm sorry but our baking group agreed not to publish recipes and can't email it to you.

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com