February 15, 2010

Potato, Cheddar, and Chive Torpedoes: BBAC#42

Labels: , ,

BBAC42
Potato Cheddar Chive Torpedo

The Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge #42: Potato, Cheddar, And Chive Torpedoes

Boy, am I grateful to Peter for sharing this bread recipe from one of his former bakers, Tim Decker, because it is simply superb. Just like Potato Rosemary Bread, I love everything about it: the soft somewhat elastic slightly open crumb that is moist and flavorful with a subtle garlic flavor from the chives, the most wonderful chewy dark brown crust, and its aroma, oh yeah. The aroma wafting through the house while baking makes you want to tear at the bread right after it comes out of the oven. Anyway, I made two 25-ounce loaves, each grew really big at 12 inches long, 6½ inches wide, and 3-inches tall. That's a lot of bread!

The recipe is an easy to make same-day bread leavened with both wild (sourdough) and commercial yeasts. Boiled chopped unpeeled potatoes and chives are added to the dough. Slices of sharp cheddar cheese are laid on the dough halves that are shaped into 6 x 8-inch rectangles. The doughs are rolled jelly roll style then shaped into torpedoes, the cheese creating pockets that look nice when the bread is sliced. I used white extra sharp Vermont cheddar cheese, sooo good. I will increase the amount of cheese next time I make these which is going to be very often. I love this bread!

BBAC42
Potta Cheddar Chive Torpedo

Rating:
flavor 5
texture 5
visual appeal 5
ease of preparation 5
performance 5
worth 5
Total: 30
Average: 5

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That looks amazing! I can't wait to make this. Had to do King Cake this weekend. Maybe I'll get to it next weekend. The white cheddar sounds like a good call.

Sidney said...

Another nice looking bread !

amanda @ fake ginger.com said...

Wow! Those looks so delicious! Can't wait until I finally reach it!

Juliana said...

What a beautiful loaf of bread! Must taste delicious!

Rosemary & Garlic said...

Your first picture may be the most beautiful picture of bread that I have ever seen. Unfortunately, the wheat bread is standing between me and this loaf.

Oggi said...

Thanks all. I enjoyed making and eating it. What a big difference from the previous one.:)

Frieda Loves Bread said...

Love sharp white cheddar ~ I will have to use it when I finally get to this bread. Your bread looks absolutely STUNNING...good job!

Oggi said...

Frieda, thanks.:)

SallyBR said...

Gorgeous bread! I am blogging on mine tomorrow, still have to write the text, but it turned out pretty good! One of our favorites for sure....

Aren't you excited with the light shinning at the end of the BBAC tunnel? :-)

Oggi said...

Sally, oh yes, one more day and I can say I am done.:)

Cindy said...

Those tunnels filled with cheese look irresistible.

Oggi said...

Cindy, they are.:)

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com