June 19, 2008

Not Coquilles St.-Jacques

Labels: , , ,


Scallops is one seafood I rarely cook. Besides being pricey, I am apprehensive that I might overcook them. They are notorious for becoming rubbery when not cooked properly. And they have to be eaten right after cooking because, again, they become tough when reheated. I guess they are good eaten raw right out of the shell just like oysters or in seafood sausages mixed with other shellfish and fish.

I cooked scallops similar to a dish called Coquilles St.-Jacques which is either a variety of French scallops or the way they're prepared: in cream sauce served in their shells. The scallops I bought are neither French nor do they come in their shells so I can't call my dish Coquilles St.-Jacques. I adapted a Coquilles St.-Jacques recipe from one of my Spanish cookbooks, adding 2 ingredients, shallots and champagne vinegar. The scallops are sweet and very tender and the sauce is slightly tangy from the champagne vinegar which complements the heavy cream so well. This dish is truly delicious and a special treat, easy to make too.

Not Coquilles St.-Jacques
1½ pounds medium size scallops, patted dry
½ teaspoon sea salt or to taste
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
2 tablespoons butter
2 shallots, chopped
2 tablespoons dry white wine
2 tablespoons water (or water from dried mushrooms)
1 cup dried wild mushrooms, rehydrated, and drained
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
  • Season the scallops, place on a medium skillet. Add the heavy cream, champagne vinegar, and shallots. Poach the scallops for 2 - 3 minutes, turn on the other side and poach for another 2 minutes.
  • In another skillet, heat the butter , white wine, and water. Simmer for 2 minutes, then add the mushrooms. Cook for another minute.
  • Arrange the mushrooms with the liquid evenly on a serving dish. Put the scallops on top of the mushrooms and pour the cream sauce all over. Drizzle olive oil on top and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.

7 comments:

Chibog in Chief said...

this is so delicious oggi!! i will just satisfy myself with your photos st jacques is so expensive here :-(

Gitta said...

I've always loved scallops, and these were so soft and buttery and cooked to absolute perfection! Honestly, they were better than any fancy restaurant I've been to.

Anonymous said...

These would be great! I like how you used the champagne vinegar to kind of cut the cream a bit.

raissa said...

I love scallops. Its expensive here plus its hard to find fresh ones. Back home, these are so easy to get. My mom just usually bake these with melted butter and garlic (lots) and then squirt some kalamansi over it and eat it with hot rice. Yummy!!

Oggi said...

Dhanggit, I thought they would be cheaper in France!:)

Gitta, thanks, xoxo!:)

Fearless Kitchen, I love the combination of heavy cream and a little vinegar. Yum!

Raissa, I have never seen scallops in their shells. That's the perfect seafood seasoning: butter, garlic, and calamansi (or lemon)!:)

caninecologne said...

wow! that looks like a fantastic recipe! I love scallops but they are so easy to mess up when I cook them! any kind of seafood with cream is my friend! : )

Oggi said...

Caninecologne, steep price and the possibility of ruining them make scallops a rarity on our dining table. Poaching, I think, is the surest way to cook them perfectly.:)

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com