sprinkled with sea salt flakes and dipped in sweet coconut sauce
I recently discovered from here that it's possible to make crispy sweet potato fries, either baked or deep fried. I like that their edges are crispy but tender inside. I also loved the savory sauce that was provided but having a sweet tooth, I prefer to have them with sweet coconut sauce (thin matamis na bao). I've eaten this combination before with purple sweet potato fries and I really loved them then. I still do.
Crispy Sweet Potato Fries
2 large sweet potatoes, cut into thick-ish sticks
1 - 2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons light olive oil
- Soak the sweet potatoes in water for 1 hour. Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place the cornstarch in a plastic bag. Add the sweet potatoes and shake the bag. Place the potatoes in a non-stick cookie pan. Drizzle all over with olive oil and with your hands, toss gently until evenly coated.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in a preheated 425° F oven. Or deep fry in hot oil, if desired. Serve immediately.
Sweet Coconut Sauce
1 can coconut milk
2 pieces raw sugar (panocha or gur), broken into pieces
- In a medium sauce pan, combine sugar and coconut milk. Bring to a simmer and stir until sugar melts completely. Turn heat to medium-low and let simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until dark brown, about 20 to 30 minutes. The sauce should be pourable.
- Transfer into a clean jar or serving container.