September 3, 2009

Lavash Crackers

Labels: ,

Lavash Crackers

I've always wanted to make thin crispy crackers but the work involved discourages me from doing so. Besides, why bake when I can buy them cheap from the stores. However, The Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge 17, Lavash Crackers, compelled me to bake them. I used to buy soft lavash before but I have never heard of lavash crackers. Well, now I have and can say that they are very yummy, super crunchy, and totally addicting. I love these crackers!

It was difficult at first to roll but after a few tries and letting the dough rest for 5 minutes between rolling as Peter suggests [and with a little bit of patience] I was able to roll the dough as thin as I wanted. I divided the dough into 3 portions because I wanted to use different toppings and found a smaller dough is easier to handle. I rolled the first one on the kitchen counter but when I transferred it to the parchment, the edges folded back into itself. I had to re-roll on the parchment paper which was very frustrating because the paper bunches up and won't stay put. I managed to keep the very thin dough and trimmed the folded edges which I twisted and made into bread sticks. Also very good. After that minor mishap I eliminated the step of transferring to the parchment and rolled the next pieces of dough directly on the pan. I think rolling the dough on an inverted pan or a cookie sheet without sides would be even more convenient and practical.

I did a combination of rolling, waving, and stretching to make the dough very thin

let the dough relax for easier handling

I rolled the first sheet really thin then sprinkled the top with sesame seeds. I passed a pastry roller on top of the dough a few times to embed the seeds so they don't fall off. Because I have a sweet tooth, I cut a small portion of the very thin dough and sprinkled coarse raw sugar on top, very very good with ice cream. The other 2 pieces of dough were rolled just thin enough but not as thin as the first one and I sprinkled one with flaked sea salt and ground sumac, and the other one with flaked sea salt and chipotle powder. I didn't want to add strong flavors like cumin nor strong colors that stain like paprika so I stayed away from those. I'm satisfied with these two flavors which are mild but very tasty. Both came out very crispy all throughout without any soft spots.

I will definitely make these crackers again and for a yummy healthy crunchy snack I will substitute chickpea flour for some of the flour. And with this experience I have gained enough confidence and will try rolling out thin dough such as strudel or filo. This is why I love this challenge, I learn and eat something new every week.

Lavash Crackers With Sesame Seeds

Lavash Cracker With Sesame Seeds
topped with sesame seeds

Lavash Crackers With Coarse Raw Sugar
topped with coarse raw sugar

Lavash Cracker With Sumac And Sea Salt Flakes
with flaked sea salt and ground sumac

Lavash Crackers
perfect with chili

Rating:
flavor 5
texture 5
visual appeal 5
ease of preparation 4
performance 5
worth 5
Total: 29
Average: 4.8

5 comments:

Sidney said...

Hehehe...maybe I should do those challenges myself... ;-)
This looks soooo yummy !

Mags @ the Other Side of 50 said...

Love the crackers in the mug photo. I'm happy that you enjoyed these. They just didn't do anything for me.

Cindy said...

The crackers look wonderful. The rolling out sounds a bit tricky so thanks for the advance warning. I'll get to these eventually. I'm only at Italian bread.

Oggi said...

Sidney, come join us!:)

Mags, sorry to hear you didn't like them.:(

Cindy, thanks. You'll love the Italian bread.:)

misterrios said...

Very nice crackers. Love the idea with the sugar and with the chickpea flour. I just happen to have some and now want to re-do the crackers!

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com