May 10, 2011

Queijadas

Labels: , ,

Queijada

A reader asked if I will soon be baking a Filipino cheese bread that doesn't have any cheese in it and I said I've never heard of this bread. But I have come across the phrase "no cheese in the dough" and mistakenly looked for it in one of my Spanish cookbooks, but later found it in FLAVORS OF PORTUGAL by Tania Gomes. The custard tartlets are called queijadas (cheese tarts) but they don't contain any cheese. The recipe is short and simple with very few ingredients. The tarts have a creamy consistency and very satisfying as a dessert or snack.

Queijadas
adapted from FLAVORS OF PORTUGAL by Tania Gomes

3 whole eggs
1 cup sugar
¾ cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2¼ cups milk
soft butter to grease muffin pans
  • Preheat oven to 400°F.
  • Generously grease shallow non-stick muffin cups with butter. (Do not line muffin cups with paper)
  • In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar together until very light and lemon colored. Whisk together flour and baking powder and blend into the egg mixture. Stir in vanilla extract and milk. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
  • Remove from pan and let cool on a wire rack. Store/serve on paper muffin liners.
Queijada

7 comments:

Kayni said...

oh this i can do. it looks easy. thank you.

Juliana said...

Oggi, being raised in Brazil, I sure had lots of queijadas or queijadinhas (little queijadas). You just brought back memories of my childhood. Beautifully done. Hope you are having a great week :-)

Mirage said...

I love cheese breads or anything that resembles it.lol. Looks so yummy I could eat a dozen!

P.S. My other blog is still up but mainly recipes are there...no long stories lol

Oggi said...

Ksyni, it took less than 40 minutes from start to the first bite.:)

Juliana, thank you.:)

Gizelle, I changed the link back to kitchenmaus.:)

Unknown said...

Those look great. It reminds me of an egg tart.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Below is a link of the cheesebread I know. I like it so much cuz of the crust but I don't whether it is cheese or what kind of cheese it... Do you know how to bake one?

BTW, kudos to you... I like ur website & I look forward to trying your recipes soon...

Mara


http://www.google.com.qa/imgres?imgurl=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3563/3319576708_d693708f7b.jpg&imgrefurl=http://balenpampanga.yolasite.com/blog/category/Pamangan%2520Kapampangan&h=353&w=500&sz=142&tbnid=vLPt5KFunfZszM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=127&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dfilipino%2Bcheese%2Bbread%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=filipino+cheese+bread&docid=XUxZEMoSFynYZM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=uPJIT5WSNMXhrAejy_CPDA&ved=0CFYQ9QEwCQ&dur=283

Oggi said...

Mara,

The bread looks so crunchy and delicious. I've never had them before. Are they soft, sweet, salty? I will look for a similar cheese-crusted bread; we'll see.:)

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com