June 28, 2012

Goat Milk Caramels

Labels: , , ,


I've always made caramels with heavy cream and milk and didn't know the candy can be prepared with just evaporated milk. The cooking method is slightly different and takes a little bit longer than with heavy cream. 

I thought it's time to use the evaporated goat's milk that has been sitting in the pantry for a few weeks now. I'm glad I did; I love these caramels that I rolled in sea salt flakes. The goat milk flavor is very subtle. They're yummeh.


Salted Goat Milk Caramels
recipe adapted from here
1½ cups sugar
1½ cups corn syrup
½ cup soft butter
2 cups evaporated goat milk
1½ teaspoons fine sea salt
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
flaked sea salt, optional
  • Line a 9 x 9 inch square pan with parchment paper; set aside 
  • In a medium saucepan, heat sugar and corn syrup until sugar dissolves. Clip a candy thermometer on the side of the saucepan and cook syrup on medium-low to 245°F. Add butter and salt, then slowly add milk while stirring constantly. Cook to 240°F, stirring occasionally. Remove saucepan from heat and quickly stir in vanilla paste. 
  • Pour into the prepared pan. Let cool completely. Cut into squares; roll in flaked sea salt if desired. Wrap in pieces of parchment or plastic wrap. Store in airtight container.

flaked sea salt makes these caramels taste even better 

13 comments:

chef_d said...

Ooooohh I love salted caramel, this looks so delicious and easy to make!

Unknown said...

it is similar to yema?:p
i had goat's cheese but not goat's milk, i think.

Winnie said...

Mmmmm these look wonderful, and I'm intrigued by your recipe!

wok with ray said...

How interesting with goat milk. I would love to try that. Have a great weekend, Oggi! :)

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I actually never knew how to make caramel. It's fun reading your directions. I never thought of goat milk caramel but I'd love to taste it!

cheerful said...

wow, very interesting...thanks for sharing! i want to taste it, hehehe, i am sure, i will love it! visiting from FF, hope to see you around. thanks and have a great week. :)

Unknown said...

You did a wonderful job on the caramel. Just wow.

maiylah said...

i honestly haven't thought of making caramel myself! tapos rolled pa in salt? whoa....pwede pahinge? hehehe..

thanks so much for linking and sharing over at Food Friday, Ms. Oggi
so sorry for the late visit...

Angela said...

Hi This look like a fantasic recipe. I have a question Can you use fresh goats milk instead of the evaporated goats milk? I ask because I have a almost endless supply of fresh milk to use. Thanks so much. I very much want to give this recipe a try!

Oggi said...

Angela,
Yes and it'll probably taste better than canned evap. You may have to adjust the cooking time.

Hope said...

I am 100% trying these with our fresh goat milk this wekend! Great pics.

Anonymous said...

We used fresh goats milk and they turned out wonderfully! But they are a bit 'mushy'. Any idea on how to make them just a little firmer?
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Cook a little longer until it’s reaches 248 degrees after adding milk

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com