October 14, 2011

The Daring Cooks: Moo Shu

Labels: , , ,


The October Daring Cooks' Challenge was hosted by Shelley of C Mom Cook and her sister Ruth of  The Crafts of Mommyhood. They challenged us to bring a taste of the East into our home kitchens by making our own Moo Shu, including thin pancakes, stir fry, and sauce.

Thanks Shelley and Ruth for introducing me to Moo Shu. Although Chinese food is one of my favorites, I have never tried moo shu in restaurants or at home. We liked the dish but there's too much preparation involved. I think it's best to go to a restaurant when I feel like having some moo shu. But it's worth all the work to at least make it once at home.

Download the printable PDF file here.  

I followed all the recipes as written but I find the Hoi Sin Sauce too salty and runny for me so I prepared one that has no soy sauce, the recipe adapted from St. Michael Cookery Library CHINESE COOKING by Deh-ta Hsiung. 

Hoi Sin Sauce
3 tablespoons yellow bean sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1 teaspoon chilli sauce
1 tablespoon roasted sesame seed oil
  • Combine all ingredients until smooth. 


12 comments:

shelley c. said...

I love your Moo Shu and your photographs. And I will have to give your hoisin sauce recipe a try - I am always up for new recipes! Thank you so much for cooking with us this month!

The Garlic Press said...

Your Moo Shu looks great!

4pure by Andrea said...

Wow great picture of your stirfry, so colourful.

foodie @ Tasting Spot said...

i really like your food pictures and want to invite you to try out tastingspot.com. it's for anyone that just wants another place to submit photos and share it will other foodies. It’s still in beta version, but would love for you to start adding some photos and help get it going.

Unknown said...

Great job.

chef_d said...

Gorgeous Stir fry Oggi! And your pancakes look perfect. Great job!

Lisa said...

Oggi, your Moo Shu is stunning. I love your recipe for the hoisin - bookmarked to try it, and of course, your photos are stunning! BTW, did you receive the candy book from the candy challenge??

Ruth Ellis said...

Lovely - so tasty looking! It's making me want Moo Shu for tea again tonight...

Sawsan@chef in disguise said...

Greay job on the challenge Oggi
I love how colorful your stir fry looks

peachkins said...

This looks very delicious, Oggi!

Oggi said...

Hi all, thanks for the kind words.:)

Lisa, oops, sorry but I really thought I emailed you and Lis of the receipt of the fantastic book. Thank you once more. I love the recipes and am about to blog one of the goodies I have tried and will make again in the next few days.:)

Suz said...

Gorgeous Moo Shu, Oggi! I love your step-by-step pics.

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com