September 20, 2010

Thou Shalt Not Steal (Blog Posts and Photos)

Labels: , ,

Maja Blanca
A concerned reader alerted me that one of my entries, Maja Blanca, appears word for word complete with one of my photos without attribution to me or to KULINARYA guidebook, on a facebook page of a pretend chef. He purposely didn't link his page to mine and omitted KULINARYA to make it look like he "created" the recipe and cooked it himself, the title of his post is maja blanca, my way. I was told that at least 5 more of his food posts on his facebook pages were directly lifted from other people's blogs and had the audacity of putting a watermark on a photo that he swiped from those blogs. What a loser and a fraud!
I am not angry at him at all; I sort of pity the guy because he's sooo pathetic. He seems to suffer from a Filipino affliction called KSP, kulang sa pansin (desperately seeking attention), and has to steal other people's work to attract readers and friends to his facebook site. And I bet he never even tasted the maja blanca that he declared really delicious which of course were my words, not his. I, on the other hand, know firsthand it IS delicious.;p

I'm aware of at least 2 of my posts that were copied, cut, and pasted somewhere in somebody's blog post. I found out about it because the blogger linked hers to mine but she included in her blog a short paragraph that I wrote along with the recipe. I didn't mind her copying a few sentences because at least she was decent enough to link her post to mine. Another is in the ASK YAHOO where a recipe from my blog was copied and pasted by an answerer but a commenter called him out and linked it to my post. I didn't mind it either, giving the answerer the benefit of the doubt that he was just lazy to link. I have gotten several requests to use my photos both from this blog and my flickr and I have given them permission as long as I am properly attributed and a link is created. Blogging is after all sharing recipes, photos, and ideas and anybody is welcome to use my blog posts and photos in their blog as long as there is a link to the entry and my blog page is mentioned.

To concerned reader: thank you. I really appreciate it.:-)

Update 09/21/10
The page has been removed by facebook just 12 hours after I reported it. I will have to go back to his facebook page to see if there are other posts that he stole from my blog as he has a lot of "recipes and cooking tips" on there that don't belong to him. If you see your recipes and photos on his facebook, click on the report button at the left sidebar and click on infringement of property button and you will be prompted to fill in the boxes asking for the URLs and description.

To fellow Filipino food bloggers: here is the link to his facebook to check if you have one of your posts stolen.

21 comments:

iska said...

Hi Oggi, I just found out that this person did the same to me! Right now, I saw 2 posts/photos and I am just to furious to check his website, he doesn't deserve me clicking his pages. Please let me know what we need to do I am with you.
Thanks.

Oggi said...

Iska, wow he is really shameless, kapalmuks talaga. I saw that he stole at least 3 from your blog that he posted on fb and one on his blogspot blog.

I updated my post to include how to report this creep to facebook. You will have to fill in boxes for each infringement. I don't know the law where you live but here in the US, anything that we write/publish including images are automatically copyrighted and it's easy to take action against plagiarists.

ces said...

grabe talaga itong si "CHEF" gill na ito ha! hi oggi! :)

Thess said...

Hello Oggi, I am so sorry that you're victimized by this thief. Together with other foodblogger friends we are taking a stand against this creep over at Facebook. He's messing with the wrong bunch!

Oggi said...

Hi Ces and Thess,

I found out he stole 5 more of my posts. He's so stupid he didn't notice one of the photos has a background of bare trees because it was spring or winter then. Eh, wala namang winter sa Pinas. LOL

Someone is taking care of the 5 posts but they are still on his blog. We'll see what will happen to his facebook.

Gizelle said...

Oggi, sorry I didn't get to yours eh, I was at iska's, anton's, mmanila's and panlasangpinoy's copied posts pa lang...

just read your comment on his blog din that he deleted another comment pa! nako, nireport ko na sa google!!!

 gmirage said...

Tineye.com helped also in tracking some of the photos....kakatawa talaga...and yes I google most of the first paragraph and kita agad na kinopya nya...sheesh

Oggi said...

Gizelle, I think I'll also report him sa google pero yung copyright issues I have to read carefully before I do. I'm also waiting if he will delete his blog and the facebook posts. I'll give it another day. Siguro naman ma-ge-get na nya yung negative comments. Kung hindi he's more of an idiot than a criminal. heheh

I'll check the tineye.com. I might discover I have photos all over the net.

cusinera said...

ouy grabeh...sobra naman, pati personal writing nang owners ni cut and paste niya ndee lang recipe=( alang originality..

julie said...

Hi Oggi, his last entry was your photo and recipe.

I used a tracker for the text of the entry and landed on your page.

What a sham, what a shame.

Tangled Noodle said...

I was just alerted by a fellow blogger that one of my posts and photo have also been 'lifted' by this joker. Will head over to Facebook to report it and hopefully have it removed. It also appears on his so-called 'blog' so I will have to politely inform him that he is STEALING content.

Midge said...

This guy is really too much! His grammar leaves a lot to be desired and yet he's trying to pass off well-written blog posts as his own! WTH?!?

cusinera said...

oggi, have you checked his other pages sa facebook ang rami niyang kinuhang posts...grabeh ni-career na niya talaga...http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/ang-sweet-mo-namankusinerong-gill/113227202031997

Unknown said...

That is craziness. I heard about it from the Kulinarya cooking club. That is just shameful.

Oggi said...

Hi all,

His blog is gone since last night. I reported his blog through blogger, filled out a form for DMCV and his blog disappeared after 2 hours. I'm not sure if blogger/google is really that efficient. Maybe he himself disabled his blog which he can resurrect within 90 days. I'll check every week if his blog is really gone.

Midge, yeah I saw his Chef's something; he has the dreaded apostrophe disease.:D

Cusinera, grabe. He has a collection of panlasangpinoy cooking videos on facebook and although all of them link back to panlasangpinoy website, he makes it appear like they are partners or something. I wonder if panlasa knows.

Joy, I might join KCC.:)

cusinera said...

ay naku oggi, it makes me ill just reading the positive comments from his followers, thinking he was the panglasang pinoy guy. I've emailed panglasang pinoy (2 days ago) and he told me he already filed reports...I even traced a pic in his facebook that he stole from jamie oliver website. I tried tracing other people's pics through google image pero super rami..I've emailed some of them individually=) As fas as am concern ala naman cyang kinuha sa akin pero the idea of owning credit(talent) when credit is not due makes me super angry, I know how hard to even produce just one post and take pictures....i don't know why his facebook pages are still active?

Anonymous said...

sorry guys...hindi n ma uulit

Oggi said...

Anonymous,

Is that you Gill? It's humbling, I know, but I hope you learned a valuable lesson.

You can start all over with a clean slate and if you are really interested in food maybe you can have another food blog featuring your favorite bloggers's posts with a link of course to their pages and mix the posts with one of your own creations. Good luck, no hard feelings.

Sidney said...

That is bad...!
Glad he had to remove it from his facebook page !

Oggi said...

Sidney, he removed his blogspot himself,I'm not so sure about facebook, if it was shut down or he removed it. We're all glad he's gone....for now.:)

Anonymous said...

yup no hard feeling...i removed it already...

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com