December 8, 2007

Tikoy

Labels: , ,

dark brown tikoy

Tikoy is a Chinese New Year's staple in the Philippines but in my mother's hometown of Sariaya, Quezon the very dark brown and very sticky tikoy has always been part of the Christmas season spread. Although I also like the white tikoy I prefer the Quezon Province brown tikoy. I like it for breakfast either with coffee, Chai, or jasmine tea.

Dark Brown Tikoy
16 ounces sweet rice flour
1½ cups muscovado or panocha
1/8 tsp salt
2¾ C water
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 well beaten egg, optional
butter for frying
  • Mix sweet rice flour, sugar, and salt. Add 2 cups water, mix well. Slowly add the remaining water and vanilla extract. Spray a round baking glass with oil spray. Pour the sweet rice mixture and place on a steamer. Steam on medium heat for 1 - 2 hours. Refrigerate until firm. Slice thinly then fry in hot butter until soft, or dip in beaten egg before frying.
The steaming time is rather long at 2 hours but I did not mind the wait because I was busy putting up the Christmas tree and the lights on the front of my house yesterday while the tikoy was cooking. It was very cold and windy the past 5 days and as of yesterday there was still 3 inches of snow on the ground. It's hard to walk back and forth to drape the light netting on the bushes and small trees, the hem of my jeans getting cold and damp but I got it done. We are ready for Christmas.:-)


Update: 01/17/2008
White Tikoy
2 ½ cups sweet rice flour
1 ¾ cups water
1 cup sugar
  • Mix all ingredients until smooth. Line a bamboo steamer with cloth. Pour mixture into the lined steamer and steam for 1 - 2 hours, or until set. Cool completely. Wrap in plastic film and refrigerate overnight. Slice thinly, then fry in a non-stick skillet with a little butter, or dip in beaten egg before frying.

18 comments:

Ruy said...

Now tikoy is something that I never thought was for making at home. Wow.

Oggi said...

Ruy, I usually buy the Philippine-made tikoy but they are only available at the Fil-Grocer during Chinese New Year. It was worth the time I spent making, it brought me back to my childhood Christmas visits to Sariaya.

Sidney said...

I only know the Chinese Tikoy I use to buy in Binondo during Chines Christmas.

Chibog in Chief said...

happy new year!!! can i have a slice of this tikoy??? super miss it!!

Marvin said...

I've never had tikoy before. Is it anything like bibinka? Texture-wise I mean?

Oggi said...

Sidney, I think the brown tikoy is not sold or well known outside Sariaya/Lucena in Quezon Province. You should try it.:)

Dhanggit, this is the first time I made because my sister in Manila was finally able to get the recipe.:)

Marvin, unfried tikoy is very hard and looks dry which makes it easy to slice, but becomes soft, sticky, and chewy after frying. I think it resembles some bibingkas in texture. BTW, I replaced the photo with a better one.:)

raissa said...

I love tikoy. Needless to say its the only thing I look forward to with Chinese New Year. Its so delicious when dipped in beaten eggs and friend. It comes in a variety of flavors now. I saw at a Filipino grocery a sweet corn and pandan kind.

Oggi said...

Raissa, corn and pandan, that's interesting. I'll ask my Filipino grocer to get those flavors for the coming Chinese New Year, thanks.
Every year I buy a small box of plain white tikoy and 4 pieces of moon cake.

Anonymous said...

hi! thanks for the two recipes of tikoy! i'm so doing this! i haven't had one for almost 6 years!

Oggi said...

hi chrizzy you're welcome! thanks for visiting.:)

Anonymous said...

I love this brown tikoy, my family got it regularly from my Lola Ina from Pagsanjan,Laguna which borders Quezon. It was quite a special occasion when we have tikoy. We always have bibingka, kutsinta, suman sa ibos, espasol in coconut leaves, brown puto, kalamay, suman sa latik etc all the time, but tikoy in our place was cooked the whole day so its a rarety. Once the tikoy is almost a week (maybe molds visible) that's the time we fry it. Frying is the last resort, you really have to enjoy it fresh.
People who will get a chance to eat this tikoy that is freshly cook with kinudkod na niyog will throw away those Chinese tikoy, there's definitely no comparison.

Oggi said...

anonymous, thanks for the tip. Next time I make I'll eat it right after it's cooked.

Anonymous said...

saan na bbli ang sweet rice flour?meron d2 s market rice flour lang pede b ito? pag ginamit ko b ung bamboo steamer at lagyan ko ng cloth hndi b ito tutulo ung mixture dun steaming water?

Oggi said...

Anon, it depends on where you live. Here in the US, I buy them from the Asian stores. If you are in the Philippines, I wouldn't know but try the palengke or grocery store.

Malagkit is used for making tikoy for that sticky gooey consistency, I don't recommend regular bigas.

The mixture is rather thick and won't go through the cloth. You can use a thin smooth dish cloth or banana leaves.

Anonymous said...

I came from Sariaya. Went to SI for 2 years before moving to US. Been missing tikoy - haven't had it for 15 years. Wanna try your recipe but a little bit intimidated. Will let you know when I do.

Anonymous said...

Chinese new year just past, and whenever I watch TFC, especially the news, I see tikoy. and i am just craving for it. I hope i find time to cook and try your recipe. tnx!

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness i finally found this recipe :) thank you for posting this ^^

Unknown said...

So Tikoy is parang similar to kalamay. It is usually sold at weddings in Mindoro

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com