December 10, 2007

Buco-Pandan Chiffon Cake And Kaya

Labels: , , ,


kaya on a slice of Buco-Pandan Chiffon Cake

I was going to make a round pandan chiffon layer cake with coconut milk-egg filling (kaya) but I and my Fil-grocer both ran out of pandan essence. I made a buco-pandan chiffon cake that I baked in a loaf pan, sliced the cake like bread, and smothered the slices with kaya. I have read about kaya at Anton of Our Awesome Planet and Lori of Dessert Comes First blogs. I looked for it online but couldn't find anyone that sells it. Our Asian groceries also don't have many Malaysian or Singaporean stuff. Come to think of it, I have not seen any Malaysian or Singaporean in my area, not that I am an expert in recognizing them. What I'm saying is there are few Asians where I live. I have one Vietnamese and one Indian neighbors but not one Filipino or any other Asian. *I wonder where they're at* That could be a reason why there are very few Malaysian/Singaporean food products available here, or maybe I'm not looking hard enough.


homemade kaya

I made the kaya last night which I thought at first was a total waste of time. The mixture curdled regardless of cooking on very low heat and with constant stirring, the result is a yellowish ugly lump, not the caramel colored jam. I advise you NOT to follow the recipe on the link, it's meant for professional kaya makers or people who have the patience to stir it for maybe 5 hours in a double boiler. Anyway, I saved the curdled jam by blending it with a little pandan water. I caramelized 2 T of sugar until it's really brown, added that to the mixture and voila! kaya that's so smooth and caramel colored and so delicious. Now I understand the appeal of this jam, it is practically a spreadable leche flan (eggs, coconut milk, caramelized sugar). And it is the perfect spread to go with the buco-pandan slices. I also had it on toast this morning for breakfast, with a sunny side up egg to complete the Malaysian/Singaporean treat, so yummy and may be addicting. The next time I make kaya I will temper the eggs first. If successful I'll post the complete recipe.


I love the light mint green color and subtle flavor of this Buco-Pandan Chiffon Cake

Buco-Pandan Chiffon Loaf Cake
1 cup flour
¾ cup sugar
1½ teaspoon baking powder
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup pandan water*
¼ cup vegetable oil
¼ teaspoon buco-pandan essence
4 egg whites
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
¼ teaspoon salt
  • Sift dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Add the next 4 ingredients and mix very well, set aside.
  • In a large clean bowl beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until stiff but not dry. Mix ¼ of the egg whites into the flour mixture to lighten. Add the flour mixture into the rest of the egg whites and fold gently. Spoon into a bottom-lined 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan. Smooth top. Tap gently on the counter to remove large air bubbles.
  • Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until cake test done. Cool for 30 minutes before removing from pan.
*To make pandan water, blend 12 well washed and dried pandan leaves with 2 cups water. Strain using coffee filter on a sieve. Refrigerate until ready to use.

11 comments:

raissa said...

oh we visit the same sites. =) I want to try the kaya toast when I go home or if I get a chance to go to Singapore. I will try to look for kaya spread here. I think I will have more luck in my side of town haha since there's a whole bunch of Asians where I live. Thanks for the recipe for the buco-pandan chiffon cake. I may just try to make it for Christmas or New Year. Thanks!

Sidney said...

Wow! You keep on producing yummy stuff! I should try one of your recipes one day...

Oggi said...

Raissa, I have been reading Lori's blog for almost 2 years now and still check it once or twice a week. The food she has written about have inspired me.
That's so nice about the kaya, thanks so much.:)

Sidney, when you do take a photo and post it.:)

Ruy said...

Nice recovery on the Kaya. What a chef!

Chibog in Chief said...

its the first time i heard of kaya..judging from your photo and description..it sounds heavenly....we have some asian shops here but i havent seen any pandan leaves..maybe next time i will cultivate my own..hehe lovely creations as usual

Chibog in Chief said...

i forgot...what a lovely banner too :-)

Oggi said...

Ruy, I couldn't to throw the kaya away, it tasted so good. The stick blender which was drying on a rack rescued it.:)

Dhanggit I've been reading about kaya in several blogs, it is an eggy version of our coconut jam. I am also planning to plant pandan next summer if the nurseries sell them next year.:)
Thanks, I rotate my old photos every week for the banner.:)

Chibog in Chief said...

hello my dear oggi,

im really planning to plant pandan here on our backyard..but i dont know how in the world i will be able to do it hahahaha..you think if i bring on my hand carry item a pandan with roots it will survive??that is if im not caught in the airport :-)

ps, ive been tagged on a new weird meme..i havent done it yet but im announcing it already im tagging you back hahahaha kisses

Oggi said...

Dhanggit, I found this store that delivers exotic plants anywhere in the world. Isn't that great? I will order a small plant in the spring.

BTW, thanks for the tag.:)

Anonymous said...

can i use the pandan syrup i dont see that here in louisiana

Oggi said...

If the syrup is pandan extract/flavoring, yes you can use it. If it has sugar, you have to adjust the amount of sugar to taste. Hope that helps.

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com