October 2, 2007

Ube Waffles

Labels: ,


I wanted to make stroopwafels, unfortunately I don't have a pizzelle wafer iron but I have a 10-year old Belgian waffle maker and that's good enough for me. I have been reading about stroopwafels in other blogs and magazines for the last year now that I want to try them so badly. Strange thing, I went to visit The Netherlands in February of 1982, never noticed a single shop that sold these, or maybe I didn't know what they were, but I could have seen other people eating or lining up to buy them to get my attention but I did not. Oh, well. One thing I acquired from the Dutch and glad I did is eating French fries with mayonnaise.

Anyway, I made regular waffles using baking powder instead of yeast and replaced ½ cup of the flour with purple yam (ube) powder. I love the milky smell, taste, and texture of ube in just about any bread including puto. The butter-rich dark syrup, actually thick caramel sauce rather than syrup, the recipe I got from a Dutch recipe website, is super yummy but beware of the fat and sugar content. This snack/breakfast treat should be eaten in moderation.:=)

ube waffles with dark buttery syrup, sooo yummy

Ube Waffles
1½ cups all purpose flour
½ cup powdered ube
2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon sea salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups milk
½ cup melted butter
2 eggs
  • Preheat waffle maker. Mix ingredients until smooth. Bake waffles according to manufacturer's instructions. Serve hot topped with warm syrup. Or slice the waffles and spread caramel/syrup on one slice, top with the other half and eat like stroopwafels. Either way it's delicious.
Dark Treacle
1½ cups dark brown sugar
1 cup butter
6 tablespoon dark corn syrup
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • Mix syrup ingredients in a small saucepan and heat until sugar is melted and mixture is smooth. Serve warm with the waffles.
I recently read that ready baked wafers are available at Trader Joe's. I guess it's time to go to TJ's.:-)

9 comments:

Sidney said...

Wow! You even got a Belgian waffle maker !

Two golden crispy waffles about the size of beer mats sandwiched together with a layer of buttery caramel toffee, and optionally fully enrobed in dark or milk Belgian chocolate.

I remember eating them when I was a kid. I think they still sell them in groceries.

Oggi said...

Sidney, the waffle treats enrobed in Belgian chocolates are so sinfully tempting *must make soon*! I'm drooling just imagining biting into one.

Anonymous said...

Ahh! Ube waffles! I've read about ube flour before, but have not been able to find it in my Asian market. Where did you find the ube flour? I wonder how it would do in my Ube Pancakes.

Oggi said...

Marvin, the ube powder packets are available at the Korean groceries and the Filipino grocery.

christine said...

YUM!! I love stroopwafels! But these ube waffles look even better. Marvin, I thought of you instantly when I saw this post. :)

Oggi said...

Christine, the ube waffles are very good and so fragrant but I still want to get me some wafels. A Dutch guy whose family owns a stroopwafel business emailed me where to buy them in the US.

A Scientist in the Kitchen said...

That looks sinfully delcious, I'm craving for one right now.

Gay

Anonymous said...

hi....i want to know the measurement if i grate the ube crop instead of the powdered ube.

Oggi said...

@Anonymous
I'm sorry but I don't know.:(

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com