October 16, 2007

Matcha Roll Cake

Labels: , ,


I made this cake once before and I really like it. The green tea flavor is so subtle and the cake is not extremely sweet, is so soft and spongy, and with the clean taste of slightly sweetened heavy cream this cake is just so dreamy, mmmm. I will add more matcha next time or maybe food coloring to intensify the grassy green color.

Matcha Roll Cake
¾ cup cake flour
2 tablespoons matcha powder
¾ teaspoon baking powder
4 eggs, separated
¾ cup sugar
2 - 3 tablespoons milk
filling: beat 2 cups heavy cream until almost stiff, add 1 - 2 tablespoons sugar
  • Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
  • Sift together flour, matcha, and baking powder 3 times, set aside.
  • In a clean bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry, set aside.
  • In another bowl beat egg yolks until very light. Add sugar gradually and beat until light. Add flour mixture, stir on low speed. Add 2 tablespoons milk, continue stirring until mixed. Fold in beaten egg whites.
  • Spread mixture on a parchment paper-lined jelly roll pan. Bake for 8 minutes.
  • Trim edges. Using paper as guide, roll cake from short side, leave on a rack to cool completely. Unroll cake, spread the whipped cream. Re-roll cake, peeling paper as you roll. Refrigerate for 2 hours before slicing.
  • Note: Jelly roll cake recipes usually say to transfer the cake on a towel sprinkled with powdered sugar. It is not really necessary and the powdered sugar will make the outside of the cake whitish and of course add to the sweetness. The paper is better because it will remove the brownish surface layer of the cake and the result is a cleaner, prettier cake.
Check this out. They sell the cake and also has a similar recipe.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

That really is a pretty cake. It seems like matcha is the hot "it" item to cook with nowadays as it is popping up in all sorts of recipes. I've never seen it in a cake roll though. Looks wonderful.

Oggi said...

Thanks, Marvin. I love matcha for baked goods and the loose tea leaves for drinking cold or hot. I've read about this cake in a Singaporean blog. The first cake I made was also yummy with the addition of sweet azuki bean paste in the filling.

Anonymous said...

i want that cake!:=)

Oggi said...

mia, that's what I said when I saw it in another food blog. Must have that roll cake!:=)

christine said...

Matcha is really good in baked goods apparently, and not just ice cream. The lady I usually buy my banana toffee pie from makes matcha cookies (saw her new stuff at a bazaar recently) and I've been meaning to try it. Her cookies look really good. As does your cake!

Oggi said...

christine, thanks! I will also make matcha mini pancake sandwiches filled with sweet red bean paste. Matcha cookies, mmm. Oooh Banoffee pie, must bake that one of these days.:D

baking4fun said...

hi i tried this recipe is awesome! the only problem i had was that i overcooked the cake i only had it in there for a few minutes! i have to readjust that. other than that the flavor is great. :) thank you.

Oggi said...

You're welcome! You could probably bake it at 375 degrees next time. I'm glad it still came out tasty.:)

Dr.Gray said...

You said that you would add more matcha next time. How much more would you add? The color looks great. Dont think you need food coloring for the color.

Oggi said...

Dr. Gray, maybe just a tsp more and I agree, it really does not need food dye.:)

Anonymous said...

im a foreign exchange student in Japan at the moment and my host mom makes this often. She also adds some macha to the cream to give it more of the macha flavor. really good!

The Urban Baker said...

this is beautiful. i would love to do mini "ho-ho" size. have you ever done that? I am going to challenge myself with this!

Oggi said...

The Urban Baker, thanks. Mini ho-hos, now that's an interesting and challenging idea. I'll follow your lead.:)

Sneige said...

Thank you very much for the recipe!
Although I tried your method, but the cake turned out not fluffy and airy enough. So I tried again to mix the ingredients this way: to the well beaten yolk and sugar I started adding 1 tbsp firm egg whites and 1 tbs f the flour and matcha mix - the result was really light and fluffy cake :) Do give it a try someday! :)

Oggi said...

Sneige, I'll definitely give it a try next time I bake. Thanks.:)

Anonymous said...

My friend made this cake and it was delicious, so I decided to give it a try. The first time turned out flat and crunchy I think because I forgot to add baking powder. The second try turned out flat and crunchy again, even though I thought I had done everything correctly. The only problem I can think of is maybe I spread the batter too thinly (about half an inch). Do you think that would be the cause?

Oggi said...

Anonymous, half an inch is too thin and the first thing I thought of is the pan you used. Measure the pan you have and if it is 18 x 12 inches, don't use that because this recipe is for jelly roll pan which is a lot smaller. Or maybe the egg whites got inflated while mixing. I can't be too sure what happened. Try also the method by commenter Sneige. Hope the next one will be a success.:)

Rachel said...

I can't make whipped cream :-(. Every time I try, it won't set. It stays runny. I whip by hand, and I don't believe I am over whipping. I've used several brands of cream, and well-known ones at that (like Hood). I don't know what I am doing wrong. You recipes looks amazing though, and I would love to be able to make it.

Oggi said...

Rachel,
I rarely whip by hand because it takes forever, maybe 20 minutes of vigorous whipping with a balloon whisk, but you will get there. I've seen a friend roll the handle of the whisk between her palms although I got exhausted just watching her.:)
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

How big should my jelly roll pan be? Exact measurements please :)

Oggi said...

Anonymous @11/27/14
10 1/2 x 15 1/2 x 1 inches

Unknown said...

What I know about Matcha is that it helps to improve your focus and makes you smarter.

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com