August 1, 2007

Filled Chocolate Candies

Labels: , , , ,


The other day I was looking for a plastic container in the upper shelves of the kitchen cabinet and found my candy molds. I haven't used these molds in maybe 2 or 3 years, they have yellowed a bit. I bought them 8 years ago when I was into candy making. One Christmas I made the Santa Claus, Christmas tree and ribboned gift molds, each one painted the appropriate color. They are tedious to make and it only takes a second to eat them. ;-)

So, I put the non-holiday molds to use and the one that is very yellow and brittle cracked after unmolding, I had to throw it away, time to buy new molds. Anyway, I filled them with soft very tart lemon fondant, candied figs, pb & j, and plain crunchy peanut butter. I used extra dark chocolate and they are super delicious! My favorite is the pb & j. You can learn how to temper chocolates here. It's not really that complicated, give it a few tries until you perfect it. You can experiment with milk chocolate first (which I prefer with the candied figs), then with really dark chocolate. Next time I will fill them with other unusual flavors like cayenne pepper, burnt sugar, cacao nibs, ground espresso coffee, and hard sponge candy (Crunchies in Australia).

crunchy peanut butter filling



peanut butter & grape jelly filling

soft super lemon fondant filling
candied fig filling


I think after eating non-stop all the yummy ice cream and now chocolate candies, it's time to hit the treadmill because my skirts are getting just a little bit too tight.:D

4 comments:

Gitta said...

I think my favorite are the chocolate-covered figs, too.

Dark chocolate with cracked pepper is also good! Ooh and candied ginger too! Mmmm!

Callipygia said...

I'm not sure how I found your blog, but I've been enjoying your ideas...plus I also tend to thnk that I can do it all too! The candies do look delish.

Oggi said...

gitta, candied ginger, yes I'll put that on the list.

callipygia, I'm glad you're enjoying them. Sometimes I think I try too hard to do stuff.;D

christine said...

Ohh my gosh, those are gems! How do you do it, Oggi. I wanna make beautiful things like you! :)

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com