January 21, 2007

Chorizo Burger

Labels: , ,


I was reading a post by wysgal last night about her recent trip to Boracay and there is a photo of a sandwich called chori-burger, that is, chorizo with a sweetish sauce in a bun. The photograph looks so good, I can almost taste the sandwich. I have a lot of homemade chorizos in my freezer which I sliced lengthwise while still half frozen, removed the casing and fried in a very hot unoiled non-stick pan. For the sauce I heated up both tomato and banana ketchup, a little vinegar, worcestershire sauce, sugar, liquid smoke, and garlic powder. I had the chori-burger with 3 slices of tomatoes, yum...


Chorizos
2 ½ pounds fatty boneless pork shoulder butt, diced
1 ½ tablespoons kosher salt (do not substitute table salt or sea salt)
2 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons smoked Spanish paprika, more if preferred
3 tablespoons minced garlic, more if preferred
½ tablespoon grated nutmeg, optional
6 tablespoons ice water
2 tablespoons chilled red wine vinegar
5 feet hog casings, soaked in tepid water for 30 minutes and rinsed

Before you begin, make sure the meat is well chilled, never leave at room temperature.
  • Combine the pork with the ingredients except water and wine, toss to distribute the seasoning. Chill until ready to grind.
  • Grind the mixture through the large die into a bowl of standing mixer set on ice. Add the water and wine vinegar to the meat mixture and mix with the paddle attachment until the liquids are incorporated and the mixture has developed a uniform appearance, about 1 minute.
  • Saute a small portion of the sausage, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Stuff the sausage into the casings and twist into 6 inch links. Refrigerate or freeze until ready to cook.
Yield: About 2 ½ pounds


5 comments:

christine said...

What a coincidence that you posted this. My sister and I are attempting my lola's chorizo recipe this weekend. Your sandwich looks mouthwatering!

Oggi said...

Wow, you have your lola's recipe? Mine is a combination of online and my cookbook's recipes, adding and taking out some ingredients. I will be making the dry-cured chorizo as soon as the curing ingredients that I ordered online come.

Anonymous said...

how come i didn't stumble on your recipe a few days ago? tsk tsk tsk..will definitely try your chori burger recipe. = )

Oggi said...

Madz, thanks for dropping by. Chori-burger is so yummy.:)

Anonymous said...

I just started reading your blog... I miss Bora's Chori or Isaw Burger... yes, there's an Isaw Burger! :)

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com