Guinatan mais, sweet corn stewed in coconut milk, is a favorite Filipino dessert or snack. It's usually served warm but this time I made it into ice cream. It's sooo yummy. Really yummy.
Just like corn chowder, to get the most flavor from the corn I simmered them first in coconut milk before shaving off the kernels from the cob and further simmered until milk is reduced by half.
Coconut Milk Ice Cream With Sweet Corn (Guinatan Mais Ice Cream)
2 pieces medium size fresh corn on the cob
4 cups canned or defrosted coconut milk, divided
½ cup sugar, more if you prefer sweeter ice cream
pinch of sea salt
- Cut each corn into 4 pieces.
- Heat 2 cups coconut milk with the corn pieces in a medium saucepan and let simmer, do not boil, for 20 minutes.
- Transfer corn pieces on a plate and leave until cool enough to handle. Shave corn, save half of the kernels, and chill in the refrigerator until needed.
- Scrape corn cobs and return to the saucepan together with the rest of corn kernels. Simmer, uncovered, until milk is reduced by half. Remove cobs and discard.
- Transfer mixture in a tall container; add sugar and salt. Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth. Add the remaining 2 cups coconut milk, stirring until combined. Taste and adjust sugar, if desired.
- Chill in refrigerator for 4 hours or in freezer for 40 minutes.
- Churn in ice cream maker.
- Transfer into an ice cream container with lid and freeze for 2 hours before serving.