July 11, 2013

Moussaka

Labels: , , ,


It was more than 25 years ago when I cooked moussaka. I can't remember the recipe I used which came from a magazine, probably Good Housekeeping. A niece asked for a recipe and luckily I have one in my Greek cookbook. After posting the whole recipe on her Facebook timeline, I suddenly wanted to make too. I have forgotten that Moussaka is really yummy!

I grilled Asian eggplant instead of  frying in oil the larger Italian or the huge American eggplant variety. I like the sweet smoky flavor of young Asian eggplants and I prefer the dish without too much grease. To grill whole eggplants on stove top, wash, dry, and with the tip of a small knife, poke eggplants all over. Cook directly over stove fire until skin is charred. Leave to cool slightly on a container; remove skin, cut off stem, and flatten.

Moussaka
adapted from GREEK COOKING (author Lou Seibert Pappas)


meat sauce
1 tablespoon light olive oil
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
3 tablespoons tomato paste
½ cup dry red wine
3 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
2 teaspoon sea salt
pinch of ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon allspice
2 cloves garlic, minced
  • Brown beef in hot oil. Add onion and saute for 3 minutes. Add the rest of ingredients, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes; sauce should be very thick.
custard sauce
2 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoon light olive oil
½ cup flour
4 cups milk
2 teaspoons sea salt
pinch of nutmeg
4 eggs, beaten until light
  • In a skillet over medium-low heat, melt butter, add oil, then whisk in flour; gradually add milk while whisking constantly until thickened. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Blend into the beaten eggs.
assemble and bake moussaka 
2 tablespoons fine bread crumbs
meat sauce
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, halved
2 large eggplants, skin on, sliced thick, and fried in oil
custard sauce
  • Mix bread crumbs with meat sauce. Arrange half the fried eggplants in an oiled 9 x 13 baking pan. Spread half of meat over eggplants, sprinkle with half of cheese, then repeat layering except cheese. Spoon custard sauce over top and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake in 350°F oven for 1 hour.

3 comments:

Winnie said...

Moussaka is a very popular dish in my country
I must say yours look DELICIOUS !

maiylah said...

first had this at the Greek Taverna in Tagaytay...but that was eons ago. i think it's time to get myself re-acquainted with this dish! :)

thank you so much for sharing and linking over at Food Friday, Ms. Oggi

Dexie said...

That looks delicious!! I've never made one coz I'm the only one who likes eggplants in my house. But I might make this with your recipe to convert my family :)

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com