February 28, 2013

Green Jackfruit and Tamarind Soup

Labels: , , , ,


I cooked this soup a month or so ago but I went on a break from the blog at the time. I got the recipe, Sinampalukang Langka (green jackfruit in tamarind broth) from Yummy online magazine. I thought at first the ingredients are a bit unusual but I'll eat any sour soup flavored with fish sauce. I like its uncomplicated flavors and will make it again for sure.

Fresh green jackfruit is not available here in the US. I buy the Thai canned ones whenever there is a need for it. If it's available, use the fresh ones. Green jackfruit is a good ingredient for vegan recipes because of its texture and ability to absorb seasonings.

Green Jackfruit and Tamarind Soup
3 cups water
¼ cup tamarind paste, more or less to taste
1 small onion, sliced
1-inch ginger, peeled and sliced
1 can green jackfruit
2 tablespoons dry shrimps, soaked in warm water
2 tablespoons fish sauce
sea salt, to taste
1 green finger chile
  • In a medium saucepan, bring to a boil water, tamarind, onion, and ginger; let boil on medium heat, covered, for 2 minutes. Add jackfruit, shrimps, fish sauce, and salt and let simmer, covered, for 12 minutes. Add finger chile and simmer for 1 minute more. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve immediately.
Food Friday

4 comments:

maiylah said...

very unusual indeed! i would love to try this one! sounds and looks refreshingly healthy!

thanks so much for sharing and linking over at Food Friday, Ms. Oggi
have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

wow, there's a canned jackfruit? amazing!
i haven't tried jackfruit with sampaloc as the souring agent. we usually use kamias, tomatoes or batwan.

Dexie said...

Interesting...

Iska said...

It's been a while since I've tasted this vegetable and I don't think I have tried it this way. Sounds yum :-)

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com