November 8, 2012

Fresh Pineapple Pie

Labels: , , ,


I was on the phone the other day with a friend and she mentioned Philippine-style pineapple pie is becoming almost as popular as buco (young coconut) pie. Some have layers of both pineapple and buco. Because I haven't been introduced to this pie, I just have to bake.

One of my Filipino cookbooks has a recipe but the pie is topped with meringue instead of pie pastry. All the recipes I've seen on food blogs and the one in my cookbook use canned crushed pineapple; in my opinion fresh fruit will always taste best. Yes, I love this pie. It's fresh-tasting, fruity, slightly tart, not too sweet, and has a creamy texture. Next time I'll bake the pineapple and buco combo.

Fresh Pineapple Pie/Tart
2 unbaked 8 or 9 inch pie shells, store-bought or follow this crust recipe
3 cups diced fresh pineapple
¼ cup plus ½ cup sugar, or to taste
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
a pinch of sea salt
2 eggs
½ tablespoon butter
1 egg, beaten for egg wash
  • Place one pie shell in a pie pan. Cut the second crust into strips or desired shapes. Refrigerate until ready to fill and bake.
  • In a medium saucepan, cook pineapple and ¼ cup sugar for 12 minutes. Let cool slightly. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining sugar, flour, salt, and eggs. Add to the pineapple and cook while stirring, until slightly thick. Let cool. 
  • Transfer the cooled filling into the pie shell and dot with butter. Arrange strips on top lattice-style, or use the cut shapes. Brush with egg wash and bake in a preheated 425°F oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until crust is golden brown. Cool slightly before cutting.
baked in small tart pans

11 comments:

Kim, USA said...

Finally I found a pineapple pie recipe that I can make. Thanks for sharing.

Kim,USA

Winnie said...

It's been a long time since I've eaten pineapple tart/cake. Gosh It looks sooooooooooooo GOOD

Iska said...

I'm not really a 'pie' person but those tarts look fantastic I'd love to have some.

maiylah said...

Looks delicious! you make it sound so easy to make!!!
Buko pie was the more popular choice during my college days at College, Laguna. I loved Lety's better than the Original...i think it tasted more homemade instead of commercialized. lol. I still have to taste the buko - pienapple combo..sounds interesting!

appreciate much your sharing and linking over at Food Friday, Ms. Oggi

Carole said...

Thanks for linking this super pineapple post in to Food on Friday. I am now signed up to follow you on Google Reader. A follow back to Carole's Chatter would be wonderful – or are you already following? Cheers

CQUEK said...

These look delicious and worth trying out!

Unknown said...

it's been a while since i had pineapple pie. last night i had an egg pie.:p i don't know if Goldilocks or
Red Ribbon has pineapple pie. a friend my Laguna used to bring me pineapple pie.:p

Juliana said...

Looks good your pineapple pies...it seems pretty easy to make, except cutting the fresh pineapple part :)
Have a great week Oggi!

Anne said...

I have never seen a pineapple pie, those look delicious.

Jo and Sue said...

Found you at "Food on Fridays" - this sounds (and looks) delicious!

Anonymous said...

I'm not one who really knows how to bake, but I found that this recipe was easy and it came out fantastic. Thanks!!!!!!!

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com