January 12, 2012

Butterscotch Bars with Dried Mangoes

Labels: , , ,

Butterscotch Mango Bars
Butterscotch Mango Bars


I "borrowed" the idea of butterscotch bars with dried mango from a Filipino snack with the same name. The package says it's from Iloilo; they're very good, somewhat chewy, and not overly sweet too. I adapted the Butterscotch Bars recipe from Betty Crocker cookbook using only half cup of sugar instead of one whole and substituting chopped dried mangoes for the nuts. I love these copycat bars. Delicious!  

Butterscotch Bars with Dried Mangoes
6 tablespoons salted butter
½ cup fine raw or golden brown sugar
1 egg
½ teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup all-purpose flour, sifted
½ teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
¾ cup chopped dried Philippine mangoes
  • Preheat oven to 350°. 
  • Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat and add sugar, egg, and vanilla. Beat with a rubber spatula until well blended. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; add to the sugar mixture and stir until well combined. Blend in dried mangoes. 
  • Spread batter in a greased and floured 8-inch square pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Cut into bars. 

15 comments:

Kim, USA said...

Oh my gush I have not tried this one and find the ingredients very easy to find ^_^ I will definitely try this one in Costco they have cheap dried mangoes. Time to head the grocery store. ^_^

Food Friday

Vhen said...

easy recipe and so yummy! my kiddo would love this!

http://faithful-wanderer.blogspot.com/2012/01/i-heart-pastel.html

[pinkc00kies] said...

yummm!! my friend used to bring me this as pasalubong coz Rgie's has butterscotch w/ mango bits :D

Winnie said...

Healthy and unique bars - and they look wonderful

Luna Miranda said...

this is great with coffee!
i still have some butterscotch bars with pili nuts.:p

maiylah said...

you make it sound sooo easy! bookmarked! :)

thanks much for sharing over at Food Friday, Ms. Oggi

Wok with Ray said...

Looks very moist and delicious, Oggi! Have a good week! :)

Joy said...

The bars look so so good.

Chuchee said...

oh my God..at long last..i have found this recipe..been looking for this for a long long time...thanks for posting this one...

Mommae said...

I have only tried mango bars using butterscotch brownie mix. I would love to try your recipe!

TanodLupa said...

Tnx for posting the recipe of butterscotch. I've been looking for it so that i can try to make it.

Anonymous said...

Hi there. Thank u so much for recipe althogh haven't try yet. I got one pack as present n I love it so much. Show the photos and go around n search. Now time to do it by myself.

Anonymous said...

A good friend baked this wonderful, chewy, yummy mango bars... it is delish and could eat the whole pan.. I cannot bake it real soon

vanillasugar said...

I tried making it with a boxed cake mix.... Failure :(. I will try this one cause it looks really good and will be a success =).

vanillasugar said...

I am assuming this is unsalted butter?.... Thanks again!

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com