November 17, 2011

Root Beer Float Fudge

Labels: , , ,





On September of this year, I received a cookbook gift from The Daring Bakers; thank you LisLisa, and Mandy for choosing my Chocolate-coated Brown Sugar Meringue and Caramel Candy as one of the top three candies. The book is CHOCOLATES AND CONFECTIONS from the Culinary Institute of America by Peter P. Greweling. 

I have made a few of the candies in the book and they are really good and easy to make too. Today I made half a batch of Root Beer Float Fudge. I've never used root beer extract/flavoring before as candy or cake flavoring. I got curious and also, after reading the ingredients, it's hard for me to resist anything that has marshmallows in it. 

I bought 2 different brands of root beer extract, both have natural and artificial flavors and some additives. I would have liked pure extract but they are only available from online stores. The penuche-like fudge is simple to make and I love it but I can only eat a piece at a time because it's much too much sweet for me. I'm not sure how to make the fudge less sweet without altering its consistency.  

Root Beer Float Fudge
adapted from CHOCOLATES AND CONFECTIONS
4 cups sugar
½ cup heavy cream
½ cup light corn syrup
1 cup whole milk
1½ teaspoons flaked sea salt
1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
2 teaspoons root beer extract or flavoring
2 cups mini marshmallows
soft butter for pan
  • In a 4-quart saucepan, combine sugar, cream, corn syrup, milk, sea salt, and vanilla bean seeds and pod. Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly until candy thermometer registers 236°F. Remove from heat and stir in root beer extract. Transfer into a 13 x 9 inch sheet pan. Remove the vanilla bean with a fork [rinse, dry, and keep for another use]. Allow the mixture to cool at room temperature to 120°F. 
  • Butter a 9-inch square pan; set aside. 
  • Transfer the mixture into the bowl of a standing mixer with paddle attachment and mix on medium speed for 3 minutes or until candy has lightened in color, has lost its sheen, and has thickened slightly. Stir in marshmallows and stop mixing. Transfer into the prepared pan; spread with an offset spatula. Leave on the kitchen counter to crystallize for 1 hour. Cut into 1-inch squares.

10 comments:

maiylah said...

oh wow...i would have never thought of marshmallows and rootbeer together! does sound really sweet, with that 4 cups of sugar! lol. i wouldn't mind sinking my teeth into one of those treats, though... ;)

appreciate much your sharing this over at Food Friday, Ms. Oggi
enjoy the rest of the day!

maiylah said...

forgot to add: congratulations!!! :)

Winnie said...

These look good!
I love sweets and these are really good treats

Mika said...

This will be a hit for a party! Great Idea :)

Dexie said...

Interesting combo but definitely a great idea. :)

Unknown said...

marshmallows and root beer--interesting combination. root beer din ba dapat ang pantulak?:p

Jay-agent112778 said...

interesting. something new top me. thanx for sharing the recipe

heres my entry

Mirage said...

heavenly goodness!

Guia Obsum said...

I'm not much into fudge but these rootbeer float fudge baked goodies I would gladly devour! :)

Unknown said...

The fudge looks great.

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com