June 24, 2011

Food Friday: Gourmet Tuyo

Labels: , , ,

Gourmet Tuyo

Food Friday


I never thought I'd see gourmet and tuyo together on a food label which is sort of an oxymoron. Tuyo is a Filipino heavily salted and dried herring which used to be a poor man's ulam (viand) but apparently Filipinos have converted them into gourmet food, whatever that means. The last time I ate tuyo was when I was still in elementary school, and although I liked them specially with hot pepper and vinegar dipping sauce I haven't had for most of my adult life. They made me want to throw up right after eating, I don't know why. Maybe because the tuyo of yesteryear were processed from not-too-fresh fish.

When I saw the jar of gourmet tuyo with garlic and packed in olive oil I just had to get it to find out what's gourmet about it. I was surprised to find I really love it; the familiar tuyo flavor is present without the imagined rotten quality and I now prefer them to Spanish sardines because they're not as fishy tasting as sardines. Indeed they are gourmet tuyo.

7 comments:

Kayni said...

This is my first time hearing about this. Hopefully, I'll be able to find it at some Asian store here in MD. Hope all is well.

maiylah said...

yummy!!!! one tuyo goes a long long way (with rice). LOL
oh, they've been around for years...maybe they just exported more of this gourmet tuyo recently. there are other brands, too (forgot...am getting old!!!lol).

Oggi said...

Kayni, try the Korean grocery stores, they're usually loaded with Pinoy stuff. I'm good, thanks.:)

Maiylah, I googled tuyo and a lot of Filipinos have been blogging about it na pala for over 3 years already; huli pala ako sa balita. Better late than never.:^_^

Dexie said...

I'll have to look for this in the Asian store sometime. I can't even remember the last time I had Tuyo. This looks interesting and delish :)

Cheerful said...

wow, this is something new for me to try, sana may makita akong ganyan dito and hopefully hubby will like it! he doesn't like the smell kasi kapag priniprito. :( like you i enjoed having spanish sardines din! thanks for sharing. happy weekend! :)

chef_d said...

This looks so delicious...which reminds me I still have an unfinished bottle!

Oggi said...

Dexie, me too. The last time I had was many moons ago.:)

C, he might like it, there is no off-putting smell or
flavor.

D, thanks. I almost finished the whole jar. heheh.

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com