May 7, 2010

Pork and Me: A Love Story

Labels: , , ,


My love affair with pork came late in my life. Growing up we didn't have much pork dishes because my parents specially my dad didn't like it. He didn't mind small portions of pork as a flavoring in vegetables, noodles, and in chicken pork adobo, and maybe once a year he was fine having grilled pork chops. I myself didn't cook pork very often and only have been cooking it more frequently since I started this blog 4 years ago. Better late than never in discovering its goodness, I guess.

I read in our local news here in Ashburn about a competition among chefs to prepare locally produced ingredients and this year pork is at center stage. The winner will be named King or Queen of Porc. Read more about the competition at their website: Cochon 555. I'd like to crown myself the princess of pork but I know there are many others who can out-pork me.^_^

Well, pork, how do I love thee, let me count the ways:

bagnet, lechon kawali, or pork belly confit
Pork Collage 3
Pork Collage1
Pork Collage 2


I made these bacon appetizers today. They are so porklicious specially the bacon candy.

Chestnuts Wrapped in Bacon

Chestnuts Wrapped in Bacon

a few rashers thin smoked bacon, cut into 3 pieces
whole roasted chestnuts (or water chestnuts)
  • Wrap the chestnuts in bacon pieces and place on a wire rack cut side down. Place the wire rack on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven until bacon is golden and cooked through.
Bacon Candy

Bacon Candy
Bacon Candy
crrrunch!

thin smoked bacon rashers, cut into 1 inch pieces
brown sugar
  • Dredge the bacon pieces in brown sugar. Place on a wire rack and put the wire rack on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven until caramelized and darkish brown (do not burn). They will become crisp as they cool.

9 comments:

caninecologne said...

hi oggi - the bacon wrapped chestnuts look great! i'd like to do that...

as for the candied bacon, i've made a version of that but drizzled with maple syrup and coarsley ground black pepper (adds a nice kick).

i don't really cook a lot of pork, but i really do love pork shoulder especially sauteed with garlic, onions, bagoong and chinese long beans. or lechon kawali in pinakbet...

Rosemary & Garlic said...

My son came home from college and wants pulled pork. I am drooling.

Anonymous said...

And here I was craving for old-school binagoongang baboy today! What is it about pork that makes people crave for it in this part of the world despite the awful heat?!?

Sidney said...

OMG...this is SIN ! ;-)

Oggi said...

R, maple syrup and ground pepper sounds delicious!

Anne Marie, I should have linked the recipe then. The pulled pork recipe is very yummy.

Midge, binagoongan with lots of ripe tomatoes is one of my faves.

Sidney, I should probably go to church and confess.:D

Anonymous said...

Oggi I didn't realise you did all this amazing cooking, wow, I have to come back later and read and learn - mmmmm bacon candy sounds like a must! Joanna

Oggi said...

Joanna, bacon candy is quite addicting.:)

Anonymous said...

Don't forget deep fried pig skin, better known as Chicharon! yay!

Oggi said...

Brian, I've always wanted to fry but I'm too scared of the sound it makes.:)

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com