April 26, 2010

Ube Macarons

Labels: , , ,


they have monster "feet"

Here I go again. This is my third macaron blog post. Sorry but I can't help it, they're so freaking cute and so yummy too.

I finally got Hisako Ogita's i macarons book after reading about it again in David Lebovitz's blog. When I saw the purple yam flavored ones, I swear I heard it calling my name. Ube + macarons, oh yesss!

The very thin paperback is actually more like a manual with basic instructions on making macarons. The book is not perfect, with a few head-scratching instructions like the Italian meringue cooked in the microwave oven, but what I like about it is the different flavor and cream filling pairing suggestions. It also has an adorable packaging section with teeny tiny boxes and ribbons, read extreme cuteness a la Hello Kitty, and recipes for the egg yolks. At $9.50 it is definitely a good buy.

For the purple yam macarons she suggests to add 2 tablespoons of purple yam powder [which I presume is not ube but the Japanese purple yam, an entirely different root crop that is closer to sweet potato than the Filipino ube] into a basic 3-egg white macarons recipe.


sweet puff and cream sandwich

16 comments:

Juliana said...

Oggi, I love macarons, but I am so afraid to make them...never had ube flavor macarons, yours look so cute, and I love the color of it :-) One of this day I'll try to make them ;-)

Unknown said...

I have been meaning to try macarons but they look so hard!

Oggi said...

Juliana and Joy, I also thought it's hard to make but it's actually easy once you get used to the method of getting the right consistency. I will make another batch in a few weeks and will post the whole process.:)

Sidney said...

OMG ! That looks good !

Oggi said...

Sidney, I like its mild ube flavor.:)

caninecologne said...

hello oggi, those macarons look awesome! i love love love love ube! but i'm too scared (and lazy) to attempt macarons. can you mail some to me? kidding. those look great. one day i will have to get over my fear of macaron making and just do it!

Oggi said...

R, thanks. Me too, I'm an ube monster. I just made ube pandesal again. I think my skin is turning purple.:D

Anonymous said...

Making ube macarons today. Thanks for sharing your macaron adventure!

Kitchen Kwento - AileenS said...

These are too adorable. I was skimming around for more interesting ube recipes to play with, and this definitely caught my eye! Thanks for sharing!

Annapet said...

I had to revisit, Oggi! Wow, it's been over a year since the last ube macaron batch...Made another with IM.

Daisy said...

Oggi, marunong ka bang gumawa ng belekoy? Kung may recipe ka, puwede mo kayang i-publish?

thanks,
Daisy

Oggi said...

@Daisy
Sorry, I don't have a recipe for belekoy. Now I am curious how it's made.:)

Anonymous said...

HELP>>>I have made hundreds of macarons some worked well some not so good BUT the main difficulty is the colour. I can't get WHITE they turn out dark cream colour, Purple goes grey yellow goes ochre, blue goes green. I'm using quality concentrated paste colouring shape,feet etc fine just colour so unpredictable. Any bright ideas?

Oggi said...

Anonymous,
Off-white is okay but if you want whiter color, there is a product called titanium oxide powder that you mix with mineral water to lighten the meringue then add your food colorant. I haven't tried it yet, though. Or you can probably double the amount of paste.

Unknown said...

Oggi, did you use powdered Philippine ube from the Asian store? I have about 2 packets and have yet to use them =)

Oggi said...

AnnMarie,
I used the super fine Alta brand. The Giron brand probably will have a different outcome because it's heavier and somewhat stickier when made into jam.

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com