April 11, 2010

Rustic Bread

Labels: , ,

Rustic Bread

Rustic Bread is one of the 3 recipes that we MellowBakers are baking this month of April, 2010. The other 2 are Bagels, and Light Rye Bread.

Jeffrey Hamelman's Rustic Bread recipe is a fairly easy bread to make although it takes 2 days. The first day is for the preferment which is making a stiff dough with flour, water, salt, and a small amount of commercial yeast, leaving it on the kitchen counter for 12 to 16 hours. The next day is pretty much the same, mix bread flour, a little whole rye and whole wheat flour with water, salt, yeast, and the preferment. Bulk fermentation is 2½ hours with two folds after every 50 minutes, then the dough is divided and shaped into rounds [I shaped mine into fat batards] and made to rise for 1½ hours then off they go in a 450°F steamy oven . Easy peasy.

The bread is soft, chewy, and flavorful and I like it even more the next day, but not after that. Well, they didn't last beyond 3 days so no problem there. This could be a regular bread in my house. It's good for sandwiches or dipping into soups or stews.

MellowBakers Click on the logo on the left to join MellowBakers and enjoy the fruits of your oven.^__^


MellowBakers said...

Beautiful bread Oggy! Glad it turned out so nicely. Although it's not sourdough, I found the flavours a little more obvious the next morning, maybe 16 hours after coming out of the oven.

And definitely I agree it was really a simple to make bread and one that cn be made any weekend, as long as you have 10 minutes the evening before to mix up the pre-ferment. Easy.

Rosemary & Garlic said...

I am looking forward to toasting this one in the morning. Yours looks delicious.

Abby said...

Sounds delicious! I can't wait to make this one . . . with soup!

oggi said...

Paul, that's what I do, make the preferment at about 5PM and it's ready by 8 or 9AM.

Anne Marie, would you believe I liked it better untoasted.:)

Abby, it's really good with soup.:)

Lien said...

Wonderful loaf, I really love this bread.

Joanna @ Zeb Bakes said...

Looks lovely, I like the way one bread is balanced on the other in your photo. See you soon, Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

oggi said...

Natalie and Joana, thanks.:)

zorra said...

I don't know where you live, but if you live in a humid region, you shouldn't spray water in the oven, before you bake it. That's my experience.

oggi said...

Hi Zorra, I don't spray water in the oven. I have a preheated cast iron pan on the floor of the oven and pour hot water in it a few seconds before I slide the breads on the stone.

I'm curious...what happened to your oven?:)

zorra said...

@oggi, I don't spray or pour any water in the oven at all. I live in Southern Spain and the humidity is always high, so my loaves doesn't need any more humidity. ;-)

oggi said...

Zorra, whew! That's good to know. I've read people busting their bulbs and oven doors after "throwing" water or ice in their very hot oven.:)

Post a Comment

Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com