April 9, 2010

Pork Belly Sisig

Labels: , , , ,


I have made pork belly sisig a few times already and it has become one of my favorite Filipino dishes. Its yummyness factor is way at the top, even Anthony Bordain loved it. Crispy pork is maybe the reason I won't consider being a vegan. I love vegetables as a side dish and tofu in all its forms but it's not fun to eat without meat and poultry dishes. The original pork sisig has a whole pork head but where in the world would I find that? Maybe at the farmer's market? Anyway, I made pork belly confit (bagnet or lechon kawali) and boiled some pork ears together with a few pieces of chicken livers. With lots of fresh calamansi juice I was in spicy hog goodness heaven. 

Pork Belly Sisig 
2 pork ears water 
2 pieces chicken liver 
2 teaspoons sea salt 
1 cup pineapple juice 
1 cup water 
¼ teaspoon whole black peppercorns 
1 tablespoon calamansi or lemon juice 
freshly cooked lechon kawali, homemade or store bought 
1 tablespoon white coconut vinegar 
1 sweet onion, chopped 
sea salt and ground pepper, to taste 
bird's eye chili, chopped, to taste
  • Wash the ears well and place in a medium saucepan. Add water to cover and let boil. Drain and discard water. Add the chicken liver, salt, juice, water, and peppercorns. Let come to a boil, cover, and simmer over low-medium heat for 45 minutes.
  • Remove pork and liver and discard the boiling liquid. Grill the pork ears until brown and crisp.
  • Heat a cast iron skillet to sizzling hot.
  • Chop the lechon kawali, pork ears, and liver into small cubes and place in a glass bowl. Add the calamansi or lemon juice, chopped onion, vinegar, salt, pepper, and chilis. Mix well. Place the meat mixture into the sizzling skillet. Serve immediately with calamansi and chilies on the side.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

There are so many sisig recipes. I like yours. Myself and my husband have yet to find a good recipe. I can't wait to tell my husband this one.

caninecologne said...

wow, what a droolworthy photo! i love sisig. i never grew up eating it but have encountered it only at Filipino parties where they probably ordered it from a Filipino place.

Sidney said...

This is a heavenly sin... ;-)

Oggi said...

Joy, this one is a combination of Kulinarya and online recipes. I was looking for a good tofu one but couldn't find any that doesn't have pork.

R, I'm also a sisig late bloomer. The first time I tried it was just over 2 years ago. I never heard of this dish when I was still in the Philippines and I'm grateful to Filipino food bloggers for introducing me to this yummy appetizer.

Sidney, anything that's bad for us tastes heavenly.:)

ogz5 said...

yum yum, I'm preparing this tonight from my leftover crispy pata nad lechon kawali last night. Thanks for the recipe. :D

Anonymous said...

wow.. super yum-yum

Anonymous said...

Walang luya?

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com