December 11, 2009

New York Deli Rye: BBAC #31

Labels: ,

New York Deli Rye Loaf
with onions, perfect for sandwiches or dipped in soups

The Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge Recipe #31: New York Deli Rye. I don't recall ever eating this type of rye bread; maybe I had although I'm not too sure.

Anyways, for this recipe, I divided the dough (with buttermilk but sans caraway seeds) and added cooked onion in one half and left the other half plain, let them rest on the the kitchen counter for 4 hours before putting them in the refrigerator overnight. The simple preparation and rising the next day took a total of about 5 and ½ hours. Both loaves are very tasty, slightly tangy, sweetish, and chewy. The one with onions make perfect sandwiches and I love it extra crispy dipped into soups, and the plain one is excellent toasted and buttered for breakfast. This recipe is another winner IMHO.

New York Deli Rye Loaf
New York Deli Rye Loaf
baked in a Pullman loaf pan

Rating:
flavor 5
texture 5
visual appeal 5
ease of preparation 5
performance 5
worth 5
Total: 30
Average: 5

It was not in my schedule to bake this week but when I read last Sunday's Pearls Before Swine comic strip featuring toasted rye bread I decided to make it since it's next in line to be baked anyway.

I love puns including this groaner, it made me roll my eyes and laugh at the same time.^__^


PBS

6 comments:

Cindy said...

OK, I'm a bit slow today. I read your comic 3 times before I got it!! Very cute. You are just zipping along. I'm stuck at Portugese sweet bread. I have taken a little holiday hiatus so I can get all my holiday gift baking done. I'll be back at the breads in January.

Your rye breads look wonderful. What a great idea to put in onions!

Anonymous said...

I made this last weekend and thought that it made great sandwiches but it didn't taste like the rye breads of my youth. I loved the cooked onion flavor. Nice looking loaf.

Anne Marie

Oggi said...

Cindy, this is my last BBAC entry and will resume baking early January. Happy Hanukkah!

Anne Marie, thanks. I have no idea what a rye bread should taste like. I used whole rye instead of white (as written in the recipe) because I don't have and don't know what white rye flour is.:)

misterrios said...

The bread in the Pullman pan looks awesome. I've been thinking of getting one for a while for square sandwich bread. This would have been a great candidate as the dough was very slack.

I rolled my eyes at the comic, but it's exactly the humor I love.

Oggi said...

Daniel, glad you like the pun and the Pullman loaf.:)

Frieda Loves Bread said...

My rye bread is shaped and proofing in the oven. You just sold me on a pullman loaf pan. That's all I need; another kitchen gadget. :D

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com