October 19, 2009

Panettone: BBAC #24

Labels: ,

Panettone

One word to describe Panettone, The Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge #24 : meh. I didn't care much for this bread. I have never liked panettone (the store-bought variety); I find it dry and blah. I was hoping that homemade will be better but my taste buds can't be wrong, this panettone like the ones from the stores is dry as bone and not tasty at all. Good thing I only made half a recipe.

IMHO this bread recipe needs MORE sugar and eggs. I prefer fruity breads moist and sweet and rich. I didn't want to waste all the candied peels, citron, dried fruits, almonds, and liqueur so I made it into bread pudding with lots of sugar, milk, eggs, and melted butter.

Panettone

Rating:
flavor 1
texture 1
visual appeal 3
ease of preparation 3
performance 4
worth 0
Total: 12
Average: 2

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Your experience with this bread was completely different than mine. I loved this bread -- moist, fruity, and very flavorful. I took a loaf to work, and it disappeared in no time (and there were only 4 of us eating it).

I had planned to freeze a loaf or 2 for the holidays, but I think I'm going to have to make it again, as I'm sure the remaining loaves won't live to see the freezer.

Sorry you didn't like it.

Juliana said...

I never made panettone...but love the ones that we always buy for the Holidays...Will try to make :-) Sorry you did not like yours.

Cindy said...

Despite the dry texture, your bread looked very pretty. Too bad about the results. I can't say I'm looking forward to making this bread as I'm not a huge Pannetone fan either.

Kelsey said...

Sorry it didn't work out. When I made this, I loved it; dense yet not dry, with great flavor. We did skip the whole barm part of the process, so maybe that made a difference? We also made this as mini loaves in a giant cupcake pan, so that might have made a difference as well.

SallyBR said...

I do think that panettone is a bit like cilantro - people either love it or hate it! :-)

I used to hate it when I was a child, now I like it, but definitely would prefer a moist variety. I am looking forward to making it this weekend.

yours look pretty nice, even if you did not care for it, looks quite professional!

misterrios said...

Oh, that's too bad about the bread because it sure looks lovely! Maybe next time adapt it so it's more like a brioche- Briochettone!

Oggi said...

Hi all, thanks.

I will probably try to bake again for Christmas together with Stollen and will follow the recipe in the new book which has more butter, sugar, and eggs.

Anonymous said...

Too bad you didn't like it. I think, it looks nice, though. I DID like my panettone, and my kids absolutely LOVED it. I regret having made only 1/2 recipe. http://ap269.wordpress.com/2010/01/12/bba-challenge-24-panettone/

Oggi said...

AP, I baked another half batch using the recipe in Peter's new book that has more eggs, sugar, and butter. It is very good.

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com