David Lebovitz' Zabaglione Gelato is super creamy and super delicious, I already had 2 servings today, mmmm. He suggests you spoon lots of sugared strawberries at the bottom of a wine goblet, then top with a scoop of the gelato. I didn't have any strawberries but I do have cherries in syrup and fresh blueberries which are also good with the gelato.
from THE PERFECT SCOOP by David Lebovitz
1 cup whole milk
2/3 cup sugar
big pinch of salt
1½ cups heavy cream
6 large egg yolks
½ cup dry Marsala wine
- Warm the milk, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan. Zest half of the lemon directly into the warm milk.
- Pour the cream into a large bowl and set a mesh strainer on top.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm lemon-infused milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolk back into the saucepan. Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula.
- Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream. Add the Marsala and stir until cool over an ice bath.
- Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.