June 28, 2007

Mamon (Chiffon Cake) & Cherry Garcia Ice Cream

Labels: , , , ,



This is the very first time I attempted to bake mamon. I have always thought it is difficult to make and worried that the cakes will not rise properly, or they will have gigantic holes in them, or worse, they will be hard as bricks. This recipe which is widely available online proved me wrong. The cakes have a tight crumb, very moist and as delicious as the ones I had back in the Philippines. I baked half of the batter in large cupcake molds and the other half in a loaf pan which I sliced and made into mamon tostado.

mamon baked in large muffin pans


mamon tostado

Mamon
1 cup cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
6 large eggs, separated
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
  • In a large piece of waxed paper, sift together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
  • In a stand mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until merengue-like but not stiff. Add sugar gradually and continue beating for 1 minute. Add oil and vanilla extract, beat well. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. With low speed, add flour mixture. Finish mixing by hand with a spatula.
  • Cut into the batter several times with a spatula to remove large air bubbles. Fill paper lined cupcake pans 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes or until tops are lightly brown.
  • For the mamon tostado: Bake mamon in parchment paper lined loaf pans for 30 - 40 minutes. Cool completely, slice into 3 x 1½ x 1-inch pieces and bake in a 250°F oven for 20 - 25 minutes, turning the cookies after 12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.

Cherries & Dark Chocolate Chips Ice Cream



Cherry Garcia ice cream is probably one of the most popular Ben & Jerry's flavors, the recipe of which can be found in many websites. My version has 3 times the amount of cherries and does not have egg yolks because I want the ice cream lighter, with less fat and sugar. I guess I can't call it Cherry Garcia then, just cherries and chocolate ice cream. This recipe makes 2 quarts of delicious, fruity ice cream.

1½ cups pitted and halved fresh bing cherries
1 bar dark chocolate, cut or shaved into small chips
2 cups well chilled heavy whipping cream
2 cups well chilled fat-free half and half
½ cups sugar
  • Chill the cherries and the chocolate chips in the fridge for 2 hours. Combine heavy cream, half and half and sugar, churn in ice cream maker for 20 minutes. Add chilled cherries and chocolates and churn for 2 more minutes. Transfer into a container and freeze for 2 hours before serving.

9 comments:

christine said...

Wow, you made your own cherry garcia?! You are my idol talaga! And that mamom looks even better that the one of Red Ribbon. I bet it tastes better too. :)

Oggi said...

I make my own ice cream because the store bought are much too sweet. I'm not sure if my mamon tastes better but the tostados which taste like lady fingers are becoming a favorite in my house.:)

Malou said...

Hi Oggi, I am impressed that you are able to make Cherry Garcia. That is my mom's favorite ice cream flavor. Too bad it is hard to get it here in Manila. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Will try it but I have a few questions:

a) Can I use chilled whipped all purpose cream for heavy whipped cream?
b) What is a half and half? I am not sure if I can find that here in Manila.
c) I need to get a ice cream maker and there is no other way for me to make this with out that equipment, right?

Thanks again.

Oggi said...

hello Malou
Yes you can use all purpose cream; half-and-half is a combination of half milk and half heavy cream, you can substitute full cream milk; and you can make ice cream without an ice cream maker, put the mixture in a bowl and leave in the freezer with the beater of a hand-held mixer. Mix after 1 hour or until icy and every 30 minutes thereafter until completely frozen.

Hope that helps and thanks for dropping by.:)

Anonymous said...

i tried your recipe just now. i made 18 big cupcakes and 10 medium ones. i also sprinkled sugar on top to make a crustier cover, then as soon as i got them out of the oven, spooned melted butter over them. very yummy!

Oggi said...

hello mimi
I'll try that method of sprinkling sugar before baking, then butter after. Sounds delicious!

Unknown said...

can I substitute butter instead of veg. oil in the mamon recipe?

Oggi said...

Marilynrose, I have no idea if you can substitute butter for the oil. You may try melted butter but I don't know if the consistency of the finished mamon will be the same. Let me know how it turns out.:)

 gmirage said...

I love mamon, both as it is and tostado! I will try my hand on these, never kasi talaga ko nagbake from scratch! love your presentation oggi...

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com