This is the very first time I attempted to bake mamon. I have always thought it is difficult to make and worried that the cakes will not rise properly, or they will have gigantic holes in them, or worse, they will be hard as bricks. This recipe which is widely available online proved me wrong. The cakes have a tight crumb, very moist and as delicious as the ones I had back in the Philippines. I baked half of the batter in large cupcake molds and the other half in a loaf pan which I sliced and made into mamon tostado.
mamon baked in large muffin pans
1 teaspoon baking powder
6 large eggs, separated
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- In a large piece of waxed paper, sift together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until merengue-like but not stiff. Add sugar gradually and continue beating for 1 minute. Add oil and vanilla extract, beat well. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. With low speed, add flour mixture. Finish mixing by hand with a spatula.
- Cut into the batter several times with a spatula to remove large air bubbles. Fill paper lined cupcake pans 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes or until tops are lightly brown.
- For the mamon tostado: Bake mamon in parchment paper lined loaf pans for 30 - 40 minutes. Cool completely, slice into 3 x 1½ x 1-inch pieces and bake in a 250°F oven for 20 - 25 minutes, turning the cookies after 12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.
Cherries & Dark Chocolate Chips Ice Cream
Cherry Garcia ice cream is probably one of the most popular Ben & Jerry's flavors, the recipe of which can be found in many websites. My version has 3 times the amount of cherries and does not have egg yolks because I want the ice cream lighter, with less fat and sugar. I guess I can't call it Cherry Garcia then, just cherries and chocolate ice cream. This recipe makes 2 quarts of delicious, fruity ice cream.
1½ cups pitted and halved fresh bing cherries
1 bar dark chocolate, cut or shaved into small chips
2 cups well chilled heavy whipping cream
2 cups well chilled fat-free half and half
½ cups sugar
- Chill the cherries and the chocolate chips in the fridge for 2 hours. Combine heavy cream, half and half and sugar, churn in ice cream maker for 20 minutes. Add chilled cherries and chocolates and churn for 2 more minutes. Transfer into a container and freeze for 2 hours before serving.