March 20, 2007

George Harrison's Savoy Truffle

Labels: ,


George Harrison is my favorite Beatle and I love a lot of his songs, one of them is Savoy Truffle from The White Album. The song warns that over-indulging in sweets specially Savoy truffles will ruin all your teeth (not to mention will make you morbidly obese, heheh). But I ignore the caution and listening to this song makes me crave for pies and candies. ;D

Savoy Truffle lyrics

Cream tangerine, Montelimar
A ginger sling with a pineapple heart
A coffee dessert, yes you know it's good news
But you'll have to have them all pulled out
After the Savoy truffle

Cool cherry cream, nice apple tart
I feel your taste all the time we're apart
Coconut fudge really blows down the blues
But you'll have to have them all pulled out
After the Savoy Truffle

You might not feel it now
But when the pain cuts through
You're gonna know, and how
The sweat is going to fill your head
When it comes too much
You'll shout aloud

You know that what you eat you are
But what is sweet now turns so sour
We all know Obla-Di-Bla-Da
But can you show me where you are?

Cream tangerine and Montelimar
Ginger sling with a pineapple heart
Coffee dessert, yes you know it's good news
But you'll have to have them all pulled out
After the Savoy truffle

I think the Montelimar mentioned here is a town in France known for its nougat. I found Savoy truffle recipe but I'm not really sure if this is the one George wrote about, it looks more like the coconut fudge. (I tried to link the site but was not able to). Anyway, I made one recipe today, it's very easy to make. I like the subtle brandy taste although dried coconut is not one of my favorite things.

4 T butter
1 egg yolk
½ cup icing sugar, sifted
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoonT vanilla extract
1 tablespoon brandy
dessicated coconut
  • In a small saucepan, over very low heat, melt butter and whisk in the egg yolk until thick, add sugar and whisk until smooth. Add brandy and vanilla extract. Add the chocolate chips and stir with a rubber spatula until chips are completely melted and mixture is smooth and no longer glossy. Transfer to a glass container and cool in the fridge for 30 minutes. Shape into 1-inch balls, roll in coconut. Refrigerate leftovers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello!
I'm very excited about this recipe because I love this song by The Beatles as well :) and i decided to make it but, as I am hungarian I have some questions about the measuring.
Waht does 'T' in '4 T butter' and 'C' in '½ C icing sugar' mean? Thanks for the help!
Vanda

Oggi said...

VandaTheVampire, I like your name.:)

T is tablespoon and C is cup. Hope it turns out yummy.

Anonymous said...

haha thx :D
thank you for the help :) I'll make the recipe this weekend i'll let you know if i was successful :)

Anonymous said...

Hmm...this looks delicious! I'll try it sometime!

Anonymous said...

Actually the song is about a feud between George Harrison and Eric Clapton after Clapton stole Harrison's girlfriend at the time. Eric Clapton loved a a variety pack of chocolates called "Good News". His favorite was the Savoy truffle which he would save for last. So he is saying that after eating all of these chocolates or indulging in the finer things, you will find pain and pay for your actions.

Oggi said...

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks. Dang that Clapton; never liked him.:)

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com