Chaffles are low carb waffles made with just egg and cheese. Some people add almond or coconut flour but I don't care for both. Almond is tolerable once in a while but coconut flour is a no for me. The chaffles are perfect for low carb hamburger sandwiches or
the much mocked avocado toast.
Simple Mini Chaffles
makes two 4-inch chaffles
1 egg, beaten and equally divided (use a 1-ounce measuring cup)
½ cup shredded cheese, mozzarella or sharp cheddar
crispy bacon chips or chopped ham, optional
- Place waffle maker on a piece of aluminum foil (for easy clean-up) and plug in to preheat. When the light turns on, the maker is ready.
- Place 2 tablespoons of cheese evenly on bottom of waffle maker, pour half of the egg, half a tablespoon of bacon or ham, if using, then sprinkle 2 tablespoons shredded cheese evenly on top.
- Close the lid and bake until the light comes off, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining cheese and egg.
- Leave for a minute before serving to make the chaffles crispy. I like them slightly soft for burgers.
chaffle burger with sauteed onions and mushrooms
I've been reading about avocado toast but have never tried it. I only make ice cream, milk shake, and guacamole with avocado. Older people like myself make fun of millennials who pay incredibly steep price for avocado toast at restaurants. Well, there comes a the time to finally find out what the fuss is about although I made them with chaffles instead of sliced bread. The verdict: it is very nice with or without adding anything except sea salt. The avocado is smooth and feels like you are eating a stick of butter over bread. Really.
1 recipe plain chaffles
1 small ripe avocado
extra virgin olive oil
fine sea salt
roasted sesame seeds
dried red pepper flakes
- Halve the avocado, remove the skin, and thinly slice.
- Arrange avocado slices on top of each chaffle, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with a few grains of salt, sesame seeds, and dried red pepper flakes.
- Enjoy for breakfast or light lunch.
I have to finish the large tin of Milo before it gets clumpy. Milo mini waffles is the answer. It is not low carb but so good specially with fresh strawberries or frozen yogurt covered blueberries. These are soft waffles because of the cream cheese. If you want them a little crispy, use shredded low moisture mozzarella cheese.
Milo Mini Waffles
makes 3 mini waffles
1 egg, room temperature
1 tablespoon cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon no added sugar malted milk powder
1 tablespoon almond flour
3 tablespoons Milo
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat mini waffle maker.
- Mix everything in a small bowl until well blended.
- Divide into 3 equal portions.
- Pour one portion into prepared waffle maker and bake for 4 minutes or until light goes off.
- Bake the remaining dough.
- Fill or top with whipped cream, whipped lightly sweetened cream cheese, or a scoop of malted milk ice cream, a few frozen yogurt covered blueberries. Or serve with fresh fruits.
Malted Milk Ice Cream
1½ cups chilled whole milk
1½ cups chilled heavy cream
5 tablespoons sugar or erythritol
2 tablespoons golden malt syrup
6 tablespoons no added sugar malted milk powder
- Mix all ingredients until sugar is dissolved.
- Process in ice cream maker for 25 minutes to soft serve.
- Transfer into an ice cream container with lid.
- Freeze for 4 hours.