April 13, 2021

Homemade Silky Tofu For Taho

Labels: , , ,


The Korean grocery store stopped selling pudding-like super soft silky tofu to make into sweet Filipino taho. I never thought of making my own taho from soy milk until I sprouted soy beans, the result of which I didn't like at all. I didn't know what to do with the dried beans and decided to make it into bean curd. Searching for recipes, I found lots for making taho just like the ones sold by ambulant peddlers in the Philippines, at the wet markets in Hong Kong, and in Dim Sum restaurants. 

It is not too complicated but it needs the correct coagulant for a silky smooth taho that is almost like almond gelatin. I used GDL coagulant that I found at Amazon. My first try in making it is a success. I made the soymilk which takes just 1 day or in my case, 4 days because I sprouted the beans first. The result is super silky soft taho exactly like the ones in restaurants and from peddlers. There is no hint of acidic flavor as others have described. I find the result superior to the store-bought tofu. I also recommend making your own soymilk instead of using store-bought because there may be added ingredients in ready made soymilk like sugar and thickener.  


GDL coagulant makes the softest smoothest silken tofu pudding taho. For firm tofu, use magnesium chloride (nigari) or calcium sulfate (food grade gypsum). These coagulants won't make tofu that is smooth and soft as the ones made with GDL.

Homemade Silky Soft Tofu For Taho
3 cups homemade or store-bought plain soymilk
¼ teaspoon GDL coagulant
½ tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
  • In a tall 4 cup plastic container mix GDL, cornstarch, and water; set aside. 
  • Heat soymilk over low medium heat to 85°C. 
  • From 2 feet above, if possible, carefully pour hot soymilk into the container with the coagulant mixture. 
  • Leave for 45 minutes until set. 
  • Remove the skin that forms on the top. Keep the skin for other use like this one.
  • Use a flattish large serving spoon to scoop out thin layers of taho into small individual bowls.
  • Enjoy while still warm either with coconut sugar syrup or syrup flavored with fresh ginger, or both in separate serving cups.
I also followed a method of cooking soft taho from Serious Eats. It's more complicated because the soymilk has to be chilled before mixing in the coagulant mixture which doesn't have cornstarch. The soymilk is poured in individual serving containers and steamed in water bath (bain marie) for 20 to 30 minutes. I read that steaming in a steamer is better. I don't recommend it. The taho is also smooth but why add unnecessary steps of chilling first then boiling when you can go straight from boiling to mixing with coagulant.


1 comments:

Wayne W Walls said...

I've never heard of this, but it looks pretty good! I might have to give it a try! Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com