Bacon! Yes, these cookies have crispy bacon chips and they go really well with extreme bittersweet chocolate chips. When I read about these unusual cookies I just had to make some. They are not too rich nor greasy; they're sooo good.
Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies
½ pound thick-cut smoked bacon, diced
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup melted unsalted butter
1¼ cups very fine raw sugar
(or 1 cup dark brown sugar + ¼ cup white sugar)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
1 cup extreme bittersweet chocolate chips
½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crispy. Drain on paper towels; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with sugar until well combined. Add egg yolk, egg, and vanilla extract. Beat until light and creamy.
- Stir by hand flour mixture and mix until just combined. Stir in bacon and chocolate chips.
- Using a 1-tablespoon ice cream scoop, drop mounds of dough 3 inches apart on parchment-lined cookie sheets. Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool in pans for 2 minutes then transfer on the kitchen counter or a flat surface until completely cool.
These cookies IMHO are perfect for the Anti-Valentine's Day crowd. Yes there are people who don't feel like celebrating V-Day for different reasons. Maybe they're single or just broke up from their partners, some don't like the color red, and some believe it's a holiday created by greeting card companies. I'm sure they will enjoy some of these sweet savory cookies served on a non-red plate with a glass of icewine, any sweet dessert wine, or espresso. ^ _^