August 1, 2009

Lasang Pinoy, Sundays: from Roots To Ends

Labels: , ,

Sitaw Seedlings

Sitaw Seedling
sitaw (yardlong beans) seedlings ready for planting on the ground


Soybean Seedlings
edamame (soybeans) just emerging from the soil

a food photography meme, Pinoy style, is hosted by SpiCes.

I love this week's theme from Roots to Ends because I am growing in large pots Philippine Lara and Japanese Shishito peppers, cherry and heirloom tomatoes, and Asian eggplants. Vegetable gardening is a very enjoyable and satisfying activity because I get to eat the "fruits" of my efforts and they're 100% pesticide-free too.

I started very late sowing sitaw and edamame and I probably will have only a month or two to harvest some pods from them. It is so much fun, though, to see the seedlings emerge from the soil in just a few days and ready to be planted on the ground.

You may be wondering why I bother to plant the sitaw and edamame. Well, I got tired of buying limp and very mature sitaw at the Asian grocery store. I really miss my next door Thai neighbors who used to give me the freshest young sitaw (and sili labuyo) from their garden. Unfortunately she and her growing family moved away so no more free sitaw for me. The frozen edamame from the groceries mostly come from China and sometimes they already have freezer burn. And I have yet to see fresh edamame being sold at the farmers market.

6 comments:

Lynn said...

Good for you (and your family). Fresh veggies in your own backyard.

Jackie at PhamFatale.com said...

Oh wow I love edamame in salads. Nice!

Jay - agent112778 said...

wow nice pix

my entry is here

magandang araw ka-lasa-ista :)
Salamat sa pagbisita :)

Dhanggit said...

could you send me some sitaw and edamame seeds to hehehe great photos!! i have the same problem here too i mean on finding fresh sitaws they always look tired from travelling LOL

ces said...

oh i wish i have your talent for gardening such beautiful and healthy crops er...roots!:) ok veggies!:) btw, i haven't forgotten abt that 'little' give-away ok? next week i will mail it promise:)

oggi said...

Lynn, nagtitipid, heheh.

Jackie, edamame is such a versatile veggie.

Jay, thanks.

Dhanggit, thanks. Very young sitaw is sweet and yummy, you can even eat it uncooked.

Ces, I'm actually a newbie. I got spoiled eating farmers market tomatoes and vegetables I can hardly eat tasteless grocery tomatoes anymore.:)

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com