April 29, 2008


Labels: , ,

Something very minor happened today that I felt the need to write a review of the movie Juno. I love this movie about a 16 year old girl who got pregnant and decided to give the child to a couple who would love it instead of having an abortion. Now, I am not a conservative, far from it. I am more of a liberal, have never voted Republican and most probably never will. I am no longer a very religious person although still a Catholic and I attended a Catholic school for girls from K-HI in the Philippines where some of my teachers were Italian nuns and I had a 1-hour catechism class everyday for 12 years. I am a strong pro-life believer for a number of reasons that I will not elaborate which is partly religious and partly moral. However I do not approve of extreme terrorist-like approach in preventing women who need to have an abortion by protesting and harassing them outside planned parenthood clinics.


Juno is the story of a smart aleck-y 16 year old high school girl who made a mistake by sleeping with her friend and got pregnant. She went to a planned parenthood clinic where one of her classmates carried a poster against abortion. The girl was not confrontational, was very soft spoken, just mentioned that the baby has fingernails which probably affected Juno who changed her mind and walked out of the clinic she thought looked very depressing. With the help of her best friend she found a couple who advertised looking for a baby to adopt. Only after making arrangements to meet the couple did she tell her father and stepmother who took the news calmly. A funny yet warm and touching movie regardless of the serious subject of teen pregnancy. Ellen Page is so good as the cocky but lovable Juno.

The things I love:

  • the smart dialogue
  • Juno although very intelligent makes a major mistake but ultimately redeems herself by picking the right choice
  • the outcome in my opinion is the correct one without the movie sounding preachy
  • the parents are immediately supportive of their child's decisions, there are no yelling episodes nor long lectures from them
  • funny without resorting to slapstick and swearing
  • the adoptive father and Juno's friendship, comparing and sharing music and slasher movies
  • well acted by all the performers specially Jason Bateman and Jennifer Garner as the adoptive parents
  • the stepmother looking at photos of Weimaraners reminds me of myself and my daughter reading and earmarking dogs that we would like to have: Weimaraner, Irish Wolfhound, Alaskan Malamute, Welsh Corgi, Hungarian Kuvasz..


ChichaJo said...

I loved this movie :)

oggi said...

Joey, good to know.:)

Sarah said...

This is one of my favourite movies too... I don't know why (probably because she reminds me of my little sis... not the situation but the attitude!)

Post a Comment

Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com