May 18, 2007

Halo-halo & Ube Macapuno Ice Cream

Labels: , , ,


What's your favorite ice cream flavor: Halo-halo with bits of langka, saba, sweet macapuno, haleyang ube, and leche flan? or ube and macapuno? Well, I love them both.

halo-halo ice cream with bits of leche flan, saba in syrup, macapuno, ube, langka


I love the macapuno bits, and ube makes this ice cream so creamy

The basic vanilla ice cream recipe is here, just add your halo-halo ingredients after churning between layers of ice cream when transfering to a container. For the ube, omit vanilla and warming step, add 2 T sugar and 1 cup cooked mashed ube before churning, then add very cold bits of macapuno preserves the last 5 minutes.

With a new super-efficient and roomier freezer I am again making ice cream non-stop. And with David Lebovitz' book The Perfect Scoop how can I ever stop making ice cream when there are so many new and old favorite flavors to try?


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I found your blog on a list of pinoy foodie blogs. I've enjoyed reading your posts about ice cream, especially the posts about tropical flavors. I love ube and mango ice cream. Can I get your recipe for mango ice cream? Also, for the ube ice cream, did you use fresh cooked ube or frozen ube that's sold at asian stores?

Thanks,
Jane

Oggi said...

Hi jane, thanks for dropping by.

We love Filipino ice cream flavors and have made several, ex: grated cheese, langka, ChocNut.:)

Yes, I used the frozen ube sold at asian groceries. I steamed them before mashing and did not add any coloring.

This is my Mango Ice Cream recipe: With a wire whisk mix 2 cups Philippine brand mango puree and 1 cup instant non-fat milk powder (Senelac) until smooth, mix in 2 cups heavy cream. Chill in fridge for 2 hours before churning. Add 1 cup diced mango pulp the last 2 minutes of churning. If you can't find Philippine brand mango puree in your asian store, you can substitute canned mango (only from the Philippines) and puree with the syrup to make 2 cups.
*The Philippine brand puree is very sweet, there's no need to add sugar.
Hope it turns out well.

Anonymous said...

Oggi,

Thanks for the recipe. I made the icecream and it was yummy. I'm going to make it again this weekend to put in halo halo. Would you mind sharing your ube bread recipe? My kids & husband love ube bread, but the stuff we get at the store from a local bakery isn't very good. I tried making some myself, but it didn't come out as good as I would have liked.

Thanks again,
Jane (tuzonjd@hotmail.com)

Oggi said...

jane, I sent you an email earlier today. 07/09/07

Anonymous said...

please can you e-mail me a ube ice cream recipe...my e-mail add is windtalker123456789@hotmail.com....i haven't try to make an ice cream in my life...i would love to try one...thanks.....hoping to hear from you....

Unknown said...

Thank u for sharing

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com