May 4, 2007

Book Review ANGELICA: A NOVEL by Arthur Phillips

Labels: ,

Angelica: A Novel by Arthur Phillips 5 stars

A psychological thriller set in Victorian England written most brilliantly by Arthur Phillips à la Rashomon, which is one of my top 20 favorite movies. The same story is retold from four different perspectives: the mother's, the hired spiritualist's, the father's, and the daughter Angelica's, my sympathy shifting as I read. The book deals with ghosts (real or imagined), relationships, memories, and psychoanalysis. The book is so good I couldn't decide if I should finish it in one day or read it slowly because I didn't want it to end just yet. I just had to read it again. I had the same reaction to Phillips' last novel The Egyptologist, I read the book twice in one week. He has become one of my favorite authors. Highly Recommended


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com