November 1, 2006

Vegemeat and Potato Pie

Labels: , ,

Vegemeat and Potato Pie

I have been cooking a lot of fatty pork dishes lately I'm afraid that we might start oinking. I know it is so unhealthy but I got tired of making the same seitan/tofu, but what is there to make? Beans, beans, beans, also boring, boring, boring. With the addition of the left over candies I really HAVE to prepare something healthy. Standing in front of my cookbooks and with my eyes closed I got the first that my hand landed on which was a very old Singaporean cookbook, a compilation of recipes from a Singaporean magazine called Female. The recipe I chose is not Asian, it's more British-ish, a sort of shepherd's pie, meat sauted with onions but the potatoes are sliced and layered instead of mashed and piped on top of the meat. The pie is topped with bechamel sauce and grated sharp cheddar cheese.

To make: Boil 1 lb whole yukon gold potatoes, set aside to cool, when cooled, peel and slice. Saute 1 chopped onion until cooked, add 1.5 lbs combination of ground beef flavor seitan and tvp, add salt and pepper to taste, add a cup of reduced fat milk, simmer until almost dry. Grate cheese to 1.5 cups. Prepare bechamel sauce, add half a cup of cheese to the sauce, then add half a cup of the sauce to the vegemeat. Oil a deep baking dish, layer potatoes, then half of the vegemeat, then another layer of potatoes and vegemeat. Spread all the sauce on top then sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese on top of the sauce. Bake in a 400F oven until brown.

Vegemeat and Potato Pie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com